Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Pamukkale Trip? Is it worth it?  (Read 9191 times)

Offline steffi30

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Pamukkale Trip? Is it worth it?
« on: August 30, 2009, 02:38:54 PM »
Hi there - I visited Pamukkale about eighteen years ago when visitors were still allowed to bathe in the calcium pools.  8)  It was a memorable experience, although I totally understand why they have stopped this practice.  My partner has never been and thinks he would like to experience it -we are considering whether to visit Pamukkale during our stay in Kalkan;  as it will be quite a long journey, we wondered whether anyone could give us a clue as to whether they think it's worth it please?
Thank you!!!

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4274.0

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Pamukkale Trip? Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:58:48 PM »
Yes - IMHO - deffo worth it - we went 2 years ago and the turkish authorities have turned it around from (as I understand) the tackiness of a few years ago.  You can walk up the travertines and paddle and it is the most amazing sight - so white against the blue sky.  We also bathed in the old roman bath at the top - like swimming in perrier water and great to swim over the old columns and pillars!

Also - stay overnight and do Aphrodite as well - can recommend the Hotel Venus in Pamukkale!

Enjoy!
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline steffi30

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »
Thanks Felicity - I think we'll go although we're only in Kalkan for 11 nights so it depends if we can tear ourselves away for one of them.......
I had a look at the Venus Hotel and it looks excellent value for the price.  Soon be there - only 4 days to go and counting!! ;D

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
We went last year and also stayed at the Venus. It was ok... cheap and cheerful. Pammukale is definitely worth the trip; just breathtaking.

It's quite  long walk from the hotel to the travertines but it's ok in the late evening (which is the best time anyway) as it's not too hot.  Or you could do what we did - get a lift from one of the guys who works in the tourist centre at the travertines and just happened to be leaving his house near the hotel when we were walking past - he even gave us a lift back when we had finished there!!!

Great place.

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 05:44:58 PM »
Thanks Felicity - I think we'll go although we're only in Kalkan for 11 nights so it depends if we can tear ourselves away for one of them.......
I had a look at the Venus Hotel and it looks excellent value for the price.  Soon be there - only 4 days to go and counting!! ;D

By the way, it looks as if you are in Kalkan at exactly the same time as us - we arrive on Thursday 3rd (late) and leave on Monday 14th.

Offline steffi30

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 07:00:08 PM »

By the way, it looks as if you are in Kalkan at exactly the same time as us - we arrive on Thursday 3rd (late) and leave on Monday 14th

Yes, we are on the Doncaster/Robin Hood flight which gets into Dalaman at about midnight and we leave on an evening flight on Monday 14th.
I spotted another hotel in Pamukkale which also looked rather good and a bit nearer the travertines - Hotel Artemis - do you know anything about that one??

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 08:22:24 AM »
Hi Steffi

No, sorry, don't know that one , we have only stayed at the Venus.

Maybe see you around Kalkan next week though!

Offline ndwalker26

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 10:02:41 PM »
Hi this trip sounds amazing - can anyone let me know what the distance is from Kalkan to Pamukkale and if any tour companies offer this trip in Kalkan.

Thanks
Kalkan - the paradise place i dream of when the real world gets to much!!

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 10:24:11 PM »
I'm sure that companies offer this tour - but to be quite honest - it is easy and nicer to do under your own steam...by car!  It is about a 3 hour drive away - nice and easy - you cant get lost coz there are not very many roads..!!!

Drive yourself and stay overnight at the Venus hotel - and visit aphrodisias on the way home - it is easy!

enjoy!

Offline ndwalker26

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 10:30:34 PM »
Thanks Felicity - we won't have a car - i'm not brave enough to drive abroad yet - i'll keep my eye out for some tour companies and see if they offer this.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Trip to Ephesus and Pamukkale

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2009, 10:17:16 AM
by M n M
xx
Pamukkale bus.

Started by Islander on General Discussion

5 Replies
Last post July 30, 2019, 12:04:26 PM
by baclava
xx
istanbul to kalkan via pamukkale coach

Started by jamie-n-kimbo on Flights and Travel

7 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 08:53:07 AM
by butterfly
xx
Overnight trips to Pamukkale/Ephesus?

Started by MartynE on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2008, 07:30:40 PM
by MartynE

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal