Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Walking..Lycian Way  (Read 5623 times)

Offline Martynb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Walking..Lycian Way
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:03:52 AM »

Hi

Will be in Kalkan for a week from 21st October.   We have been many times before but this time we would like to go for a long walk on the Lycian Way

We have walked before from Bezirgan ( sorry if that's not spelled correctly ) back to Kalkan.

This time would like to make a full day of it 8 or 9 hours walking.  The Bezirgan one only took us 3 hours or so

Any ideas ???

Thanks in advance

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=10261.0

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Walking..Lycian Way
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 11:53:58 AM »
This might give you some ideas: three days hiking in early May this year from Ovacik to Gavuragili, but really they could be individual day trips with some tweaks.  I hope to return later this month to do some more walking.  Also, the Sunday walking group should be in full swing by the time you come out.

I would be interested in the Bezirgan walk, did you come down over the tunnel?
Were there way marks? 

http://enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=9129.msg63843#msg63843

Mark
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Offline Martynb

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 02:29:54 PM »
We got a lift up to Bezirgan and got dropped on the road at the top.  We walked through
 the  village and then at the back of the grain silos the Lycian Way started...it was very well marked

It came out near the mosque and has lovely views over Kalkan..not sure what you mean about tunnel.  We walked back along the road and then back down into Kalkan if thats any help

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 06:11:28 PM »
Martynb, try sending a PM to M&M (God I sound like I work for M15... :))
M&M seem to organise lots of walks in the area and may be able to give you some ideas - send them a personal message is what I mean by the code above ::)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline M n M

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 14
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 11:56:16 AM »
Hi Martynb
The Sunday walks haven't started yet, as the weather has only just cooled down enough.
The problem with walking the Lycian Way is that most of the walks are linear, so transport is difficult.
If we are walking whilst you are here we will post details on this forum.
M n M

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
Re: Walking..Lycian Way - Bezirgan tunnel
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
Martynb,

As I understand it, Bezirgan valley used to be underwater with all the run off from the mountains (it still floods in the rainy season).  A previous civilisation (not sure if this was the Greeks, Lykians or Hittites) decided to drain the water by boring a tunnel at the Southern end and created the fertile valley that Bezirgan is today. 

Mark

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 01:35:16 PM »
Walking to Patara and getting a dolmus back is a nice day walk. Depending on your fitness and how far you want to walk you can vary this one. Starting from Akbel is the easiest / shortest walk and you will contour most of the way along the old Roman syphon before dropping down to seal level at Patara. Alternatively for a longer, tougher day with a few ups and downs, start from Kalamar bay and walk around the coast, this is probably about 6 hours and you will need lots of water. Start early while it's cool. Nice views of the sea and this takes you via the old roman aqueduct at Delikkemer before dropping down to Patara. Or if you have a car you can shorten this walk significantly by driving towards Patara and taking the Delikkemer turnoff and parking near the aqueduct and starting by picking up the waymarks from there. The dolmus you get back from Patara will drop you at the bottom of this road when you return from the beach if you ask. Either way, when you reach Patara you then have the opportunity to have a potter around the ruins,  then a swim to cool off followed by celebratory beers and something to eat at the cafe, a siesta and catching the dolmus back to Kalkan. A nice varied day combining walking, ruins and Patara beach too.
Another option if you have a car is to drive to Sidyma and combine 2 optional legs of the Lycian Way into a single circular walk via Bel/Gey. It's long (25k) but its relatively easy going with not too many ups and downs and great views for much of the way over Yediburun, plus ruins to explore at Sidyma.
And Berzigan can also be done as a loop by walking up from the Kas road and back down by a different route (for most of the way). I'm sure you will enjoy whichever you decide!

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 02:24:55 PM »
Adidasfish,

You said, "start from Kalamar bay and walk around the coast".  I have heard that this is a tricky bit with sharp rocks and even scrambling.  How did you find it.  I would really love to do the walk starting from my street (Yildiz Sokak) and going around but have been put off by other's reports.

Mark

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2012, 01:01:48 PM »
We did the walk from Kalamar Bay to Patara yesterday (http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=1846978).  It was great and not at all dangerous, did involve some scrambling and we lost the trail very early on but came across it again the other side of Firnaz Bay.  It took seven and a half hours in total with not a lot of breaks.  The last bus back from Patara is at 5:30pm.

Mark

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2012, 07:58:36 PM »
Glad you enjoyed it, out of curiosity did you pick up the start OK?

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2012, 05:04:42 AM »
Adidasfish,

Started on Yildiz Sokak and turned right where the new(?) way marks are and lost the track within five hundred metres; did not pick it up again until a kilometre or so before the aqueduct.
This might be why we felt while difficult for the first 5k we did not come across dangerous parts that we could not avoid.  We were always ready to turn around anyhow. 
We are going to do it the other way from Delikemmer to see where the waymarked trail actually goes.

Mark

Offline Adidasfish

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2012, 02:09:04 PM »
Hi Mark
There are no dangerous bits on the first section (apart from scratches from overhanging trees). The only slightly difficult bit is that very short vertical haul up onto the rocky part just before you reach the aqueduct, where you have to very briefly use your hands. Apart from that little section, it's just a 'normal' footpath/goat track!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Walking on Lycian Way

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

62 Replies
Last post December 12, 2008, 06:32:32 AM
by Buster
xx
Walking on the Lycian Way

Started by M n M on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

0 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 11:03:07 AM
by M n M
xx
Walking the Lycian Way

Started by Buster on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 07:02:32 PM
by Begonvil
xx
Walking lycian way

Started by downthedip on Places to Visit / Things to Do / Excursions

2 Replies
Last post May 05, 2011, 01:08:33 PM
by Charlie

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Side Temple

Views: 3580
By: blondie
Kas amphitheatre