Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Full moon party  (Read 71170 times)

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
Re: Full moon party
« Reply #120 on: July 25, 2009, 11:23:01 AM »
I am going to have a lay down with a G & T to think about that one Jon ???

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
« Reply #121 on: July 25, 2009, 11:26:59 AM »
KC99.....You dont need to turn to drink  >:Dk, just do as you are told ! ! !
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #122 on: July 25, 2009, 11:49:08 AM »
Turning to drink seems preferable  ;D

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #123 on: July 25, 2009, 12:26:58 PM »
I believe there are two schools of thought on the direction Kalkan should go. The first one being it should remain and build on being an exclusive resort offering facilities to the higher end of the market. Now I'll admit I have one foot in this camp but understand it would be difficult to achieve as the local business's need to see a fast and consistant return. It would take a few seasons to re-establish the exclusiveness many people are looking for if it succeeds at all !!!
The second being people would like to see more of the lively type bars clubs etc albeit controlled as to not over develop.... I guess the local business fraternity would like this as it increases "bums on seats".
So a very difficult situation and I can see the argument for both.... as a potential property owner I'll admit I'm more in favour of the first option but I think time will tell on how the resort goes...... could it cater for both ?  :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 12:39:22 PM by misty »

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
« Reply #124 on: July 25, 2009, 12:44:38 PM »
Misty, a good point.
So isn't it down to the local authorites to control how developments/new bars etc etc are allowed to develop. They set the rules and will control how Kalkan evolves.
Therefore having a regular dialog through some sort of forum with the Mayor/Belediye helps get messages across and shape policy.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #125 on: July 25, 2009, 02:05:37 PM »
Denners what if the way things are going is actually their policy............?

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2009, 02:14:58 PM »
Denners - it appears from advice that I have been given that the best way to inform the Mayor and Belediye is to write a personal letter.  If it can be translated into Turkish all the better, but if not, they have people who can translate.  In this way the Mayor and his team will get to know what people are thinking.

Petitions or gathering a deputation to send along to see the Mayor will make no difference nor will simply talking about it on EK as chances are the Mayor and members of the Board don't read EK.

Cheers!

Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Denners

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2009, 03:04:23 PM »
You would have thought that if the Mayor/Belediye wanted to keep their finger on the pulse of public opinion in Kalkan, they would have someone reading EK each day. I would if I was them !!!!
KCat99....you may be right but if there are concerns expressed by public opinion as to the way things are developing in Kalkan then those concerns ought to be made know so policy can be influenced.

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2009, 05:51:44 PM »
Reading all the posts on the subject, it appears that - some people are against it - some people are for it and some quite frankly don't care either way!!
So what message should be given to the Mayor - I would have thought that once the "local businesses etc " formed their opinion of how it was affecting their livelihoods , if at all, it would be quickly relayed to him and the Belediye
Otherwise we will start to have petions delivered to him about maybe - stopping Burger King coming- closing down businesses that offer English breakfasts and sticky toffee pudding etc etc
It would be more sensible if the Mayor employed real professionals to decide the long term future of Kalkan's tourism niche and the infrastructure required, rather than lots of daily whinges about a couple of bars or whatever

Offline Shirley Burley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2009, 06:02:36 PM »
Can hold my tongue no longer.

For a start, who on earth do you think you are to presume you can map the way Kalkan changes and progresses - as villa owners who visit a few weeks a year??  If people who bought holiday homes to let in, say, Blackpool, decided they didn't like the fact that new bars were being opened etc, do you think the mayor of Blackpool would appreciate a visit from them saying 'despite the fact that thousands of people happily live here 365 days a year we, who visit for 2 weeks a year, have decided we don't like what is happening and would like it to be changed please'.  I think not.

Secondly, most people discussing the downhill tumble of Kalkan this season are not even in Kalkan and have not witnessed it - and those who have been here mostly appear not to have noticed.  Echoes of the Brand/Ross scenario where only 2 people who actually heard the broadcast complained, prompting 1000s of complaints from people who didn't, and would otherwise have been totally oblivious.  Yes, a few bars have 'Russian girls' dancing on the bar.  If people did not enjoy Russian girls dancing on the bar, they would not be there.  I personally do not enjoy Russian girls dancing on bars and therefore choose not to frequent such establishments, so they fail to bother me.  The 'dreadful' restaurant on the Kalamar Road which serves Full English and Roast Dinners has, every time I have walked past, had at least 2 tables enjoying a meal there, so it obviously appeals to some.  I have a freezer full of bacon and pork sausages which I enjoy regularly, but hope that this does not mean I should leave Kalkan in shame.  Why should all tastes not be catered for?!  Just because you don't personally like it, who are you to say it should not be there?!

On the point of large groups of teenagers and early 20s - 99% of these groups are sons/daughters and friends of parents who own villas in Kalkan.  A large group of teenagers looking for a clubbing and drinking holiday, who had never heard of Kalkan, would go to Hisaronu or Kusadasi - they would not choose Kalkan unless they had connections with it.  Felicity, you may not rent your villa to groups of young people, but are your children and their friends not those very young people who frequent such bars - you are open about the fact that they stay out until all hours of the morning in bars so what makes them any different to other groups of young people??  The answer is nothing - they are the very people about whom this thread has become focussed.

And anyone who believes that EK is the 'pulse of public opinion in Kalkan' when it is almost 100% populated by villa owners and holiday makers (the majority of residents gave up long ago) is clearly deluded.  The mayor has far more important things to deal with than listening to a list of demands from foreigners about how to run a town that was running perfectly well and happily before hundreds and hundreds of people bought villas here, encouraged their offspring to invite their friends to stay in said villas thus inspiring the opening of bars to amuse said offspring, and then decided due to the purchase of said villa they had the right to a say in the running of the place.

Offline Mrs Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 13
    • Share Post
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2009, 06:30:25 PM »
Well said Shirley Burley, I agree with most of your points.

Regarding EK can I just say that it was never our aim to make it the 'pulse of public opinion' but for it to be a useful website for tourists visiting Kalkan.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2009, 06:30:35 PM »
I agree SB,

Reference EK as a 'pulse of public opinion in Kalkan' - Can I just re-iterate why EK was launched - to act as a tourism forum to promote Kalkan and not to act as a pressure group.

I really do feel this forum needs to get back on track  :)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2009, 06:31:37 PM »
If you read the EK stats, it has over 1500 members - less than 40 of them have posted on this bars thread, I think that's about 3%. Of those 3%, as KevinCat has pointed out, there is no consensus of opinion

As Shirley Burley says, EK members do not represent the pulse of public opinion here. Why should the Mayor take notice of 40 disparate views, when you can't even agree amongst yourselves what you want.

The situation will be resolved locally given time. Some may like the result same may not, that's called democracy.

Are so many of you really so full of your own importance that you think you know the full picture better than the Mayor and his team? A team which  canvassed public opinion on the future that everyone wanted for Kalkan so successfully that he was elected by the electorate -  the bar owners, shopkeepers, restaurateurs, cleaners, taxi drivers, teachers, waiters, tour operators, hotel owners etc etc, all the people whose future and that of their children depends on Kalkan continuing to flourish as a holiday resort.

The Mayor and his team have far more knowledge about what's going on here than any of you, They don't need deputations, letters, petitions or an advisory committee. This is their town. They are here to stay. Everyone who has posted on this thread who is British has the option either not to return or to sell and leave if they are unhappy about life here. Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but to start suggesting that EK members should be telling the Mayor how to run Kalkan would be ludicrous if it wasn't so laughable.

The local population are here for the long term and they should be trusted to get the future of Kalkan right. To hear many of you talk you would think that Kalkan was run by a bunch of illiterates who couldn't function without the assistance of the Brits. Ever heard of Colonialism.?

How many of you have been to a meeting of the Belediye to see democracy in action.? How many of you have met our Mayor?

As Shirley Burley so eloquently puts it, who do you think you are?  That would be the Mayor's first question too, except he is rather too polite to be so blunt.

Lantana

Offline Mary Jane

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #133 on: September 05, 2009, 11:00:53 AM »
Just to to add a little salt and pepper to this debate Pasha Bar pay their rent  to the Mayor directly. not sure if belongs to him personally or to the  belediye but guess it means he is aware or should be aware of their entertainment programme!!!!

Offline fidimax

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 6
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #134 on: September 05, 2009, 03:00:02 PM »
He does,he is,and the full moon party was at indigo,Pasha bar had a electronic party,which I think was probably a one off,if you use Pasha bar you will notice that ever since Yusuf took over,at midnight he always shuts the doors to keep the noise down,and when the "kitchen" across the street has live music he turns down the music,so not to interfere with the live music from across the street,which is more than you can say for Yali and moonlight. >:D
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 02:19:01 PM by fidimax »
EFES TIME AGAIN !

Offline Natsky

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #135 on: September 05, 2009, 09:45:45 PM »
Here here fidimax!

Offline AllanChris

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2009, 12:06:03 AM »
We first came to Kalkan because we were told it was laid back, peaceful, had great restaurants and bars, lovely views, scenery and culture, that it did not attract lager louts and other objectionable and anti social holiday makers, and that the music bars closed their doors or switched their music off at midnight.     We have been 5 times since 2007 in May and October, the last time in late May this year. We have experienced all of the above, and have loved all of our holidays here. The sum of the parts is why we return twice a year. It seems to me that the only variables are likely to  be the last 2 points mentioned. Perhaps, as we visit before and after the high season, our holidays will remain as perfect as ever! If not, we will just go elsewhere.
Keep On Rockin' In The Free World!

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2009, 07:17:56 AM »
Whilst I have had different opinions from Lantana in the past I must concur with her on this
In his short time in office the Mayor seems to have shown an awareness and leadership in Kalkan which was lacking in the past.
Everyone that you speak to welcomes the changes he is making / has made and people seem to be working with him and the Belediye to make sure they continue in this vein, for the benefit of both locals and tourists alike.
As Lantana says, to slander the man in this way causes those of us who live here great offence and no doubt the local Turks as well.
Jon please have the post removed NOW !! 

Offline bryher

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2009, 08:24:36 AM »
I too can stay quiet no longer. Having incurred the wrath of the "regular aren't we great brits" before I vowed not to become involved again but the shear arrogance of some. Felicity etc, has made be so angry I must.

ShirleyBurley, Lantana and Kevincat99 have put the matter beautifully and I would not add to their comments, other than to agree totally.

We are privileged to live for most of the year in Kalkan, unlike most of the experts and if the town becomes something we dislike then we have the chance to put up with it or move. Just because we appear to have a little money and own property does not give us the right to dictate to the Mayor or indeed anyone else. Likewise those who own property but simply use it as income albeit in the hope of one day retiring to it should have no influence in the running of the town.

Felicity, have you ever bothered to think how offensive your so called popular party nights may possibly be to the locals. English belly dancers, etc?  Probably very amusing for English sycophants but certainly aping a long standing traditional custom.

Let EK stay as Jon intended or what has in part become a social notebook for English dwellers or visitors to maintain their clannishness.

As for the outrageous post of Misty words fail me. Had it been said or written in UK the writs would have been flying. What ever made him or her think it could be said in Turkey.  It was not only offensive to the Mayor but but by inference just about any Turk. My hope is that it is regarded by them as a one off by an unthinking individual and does not reflect the views of others.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

question
Paper Moon Hotel

Started by IanTrishinHull on Accommodation and Hotels

4 Replies
Last post February 15, 2011, 06:32:55 PM
by alpheus77
xx
Re: MUSIC at Paper Moon?

Started by kalkanchris on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post July 17, 2011, 09:00:32 PM
by Begonvil
xx
Paper Moon Hotel Info

Started by kalkaness on Accommodation and Hotels

1 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 05:36:35 PM
by kalkanlover22
xx
AK Party

Started by kalcamp on Politics & Debate

9 Replies
Last post August 01, 2008, 04:23:12 PM
by clashgour

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Hmmmm

Views: 2954
By: misty
Patara on the rocks