Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Spectator - true or false?  (Read 12494 times)

Offline Cosetta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 54
    • Share Post
    • Villa Incantata
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
The Spectator - true or false?
« on: December 05, 2010, 12:00:20 PM »
Someone just sent this scathing article to me ... what are your comments?  At least we hope it will not come to Kalkan in our lifetime.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/essays/6439693/common-people.thtml

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=7164.0
Villa Incantata - http://kalkan-turkey.com

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: The Spectator - true or false?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2010, 12:02:48 PM »

Bang on the money....... ;D

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2010, 12:04:16 PM »
Yes: I couldn't agree more with that article, but then, Theodore Dalrymple is one of my heroes......

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2010, 12:36:40 PM »
I think its very true in many ways.

And as I say about many celebrities; money can get you many things other than class!

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2010, 07:45:27 PM »
I think its very true in many ways.

And as I say about many celebrities; money can get you many things other than class!

Very true look at Jordon rough as a robbers dog...yet worth 30 million pounds.....

Offline Hummingbird

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »
That article is a tiny fraction of his output.
The man known as Theodore Dalrymple and his American “Conservative” friends makes Margaret Thatcher look like an extreme practitioner of Marxism. 

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2010, 11:41:39 PM »
I have to agree with Hummingbird..I'm not a fan of his extreme views. Whilst the stereotypes do exist - not just in England, but throughout the UK, I personally do not think they are the norm.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2011, 07:51:53 AM »
I'm afraid it's already here Cosetta. May I refer you to Fidimax in his" This and that "article. I was going to reply to it and point out that it wasn't about money or opinions, it was all about standards and their general decline, but Hummingbird says it far better.

Offline Dellbarr

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2011, 08:02:50 AM »
Sorry, I got Hummingbird and Dalrymple mixed up.

Offline Wally

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: The Spectator - true I'm afraid
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2011, 08:43:17 AM »
 :'( :'( :'(How this article depresses me, its so true! Too much 'do as I please' attitude with no idea how inconsiderate actions or rudeness affects other people. When I used to travel in my work, people in S.E Asia & China always had in their minds eye  that the British were the race to follow for manners & telling the truth, 15 to 20 years ago they were correct not now! The last 14yrs have seen a moral code of conduct disappear. Sloth, instant wealth, instant fame, what you have I want (BUT I AIN'T SAVING FOR IT)have become the norm! This decline is not a act of God, its man made, its been created to insure that people do not get educated to the correct standard & therefore are stuck in their 'lot' forever! Create a class of people we have now & you eventually (they hope) stay in power!
Kalkan is a refuge from what I saw in the UK before moving here! Only last week we saw smartly dressed young children helping in the community & smiling whilst they did it! Long may we be safe here & God save the UK as it appears no one else will? :'( :'( :'( 

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:26:45 PM »
My goodness we were having just this sort of conversation yesterday here in the UK with a Turkish friend of ours who is married to his Englsih wife.

He came over here with high hopes & as previously mentioned thinking that the English people were all polite & helpful.  He was so proud to become a UK citizen, his smile was from ear to ear.  He is an intelligent person, very well educated, he worked as a teacher in Istanbul & Fethiye.  He is now, along with his wife, thinking of moving back to Turkey in the not too distance future, she is fed up with her own country, he is so disillusioned, he finds people here rude, aggressive, greedy & just so opinionated.  What a terrible shame it was to hear him say all this along with some other things, he has so much to offer this country, which as a country, he loves, both the climate & the beautiful places/areas we have.   But we knew what he meant. :(
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline cleworthallray

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 05:47:12 PM »
False I think. Of course there are people as described but there are in every country. In my previous job (before I left the world to become a farmer) i went to France and Germany each year for a week or so as part of my work. I loved it and met many great people who I still keep in contact with. But I met some horrible people too. Some were very arrogant, some were dam right rude, and some were loud and had terrible manners but most of them were great. Is that not, what its really like everywhere. I do agree that some parents don't know how to behave themselves and therefore pass on these traits to their kids. Remember the 7 up series " show me the boy at 7 and I'll show you the man"....it can be true. But I don't think we should put the Brits down too much, there's plenty of good ens. Smile, be happy, enjoy.   

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2011, 06:31:59 PM »
i'm with you ray..i love my country but not all the people in it!...you only have to see the response from many of our population to disaster appeals etc to see not all are bad. Red nose day brings out the best in folk as does marathons etc....indeed many of the populus of other countries seem desperate to get here for our generosity ::) 
Maybe we are opinionated because we have freedom of speech?maybe because we allow louts under the guise of protests(not peaceful but those who smash London and other citys up for the cause of Anti capitalism) Police were standing by watching...if they do nothing then what hope is there for the rest of us?
As for our inner cities?all countries have them and a scrote is a scrote whatever language it speaks ;)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 06:34:26 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 11:07:47 AM »
I basically agree with the article... returning from Kalkan at the begining of May, and looking at the check-in queues for flghts at Dalaman, it was easy (and rather embarrassing) to identify the British flights...

But in terms of generally poor behaviour and tacky appearance, the Russians don't seem to be far behind us. Not sure whether that's any cause for comfort, though ;-)

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »

I keep having nightmares:

I wake up after dreaming that I am French and on especially bad mornings I wake up thinking that I am an American and then I really freak.

Buster
 ;D
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
False eyelashes and nail extensions

Started by HEATH on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2018, 11:17:30 AM
by HEATH
xx
Is it true ??

Started by misty on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

17 Replies
Last post May 14, 2009, 02:37:25 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Can this be true

Started by misty on The Everything Else Area!

64 Replies
Last post July 13, 2009, 04:48:12 PM
by kalkan4eva
xx
Can it finally be true?

Started by Babs on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2013, 11:42:25 PM
by itstime

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Kaya Restaurant

Views: 10393
By: alisonh
Kekova Trip