Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: This and that  (Read 19624 times)

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Re: This and that
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2011, 09:29:42 PM »

Wow  :o :o :o

Offline Wendy

• Versatile Villa Asfiya
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
  • If you are lucky you can visit our villa!
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Holidays
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2011, 10:25:00 PM »
I think that because it is a muslim country and a very patriarchal society that females of any age are liable to be looked at differently and with different regard than if they were in the UK. Many will not realise this, many will not care, but it is a different country after all.
I personally don't really like seeing bikini tops and shorts and barechested males off the beach (in Turkey or in the UK) but it is up to the individual. If any one person is offended then that is their decision, just as it is the decision of the scantily clad male or female to dress in that manner.

Offline pasha

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2011, 04:37:04 PM »
I am pretty sure that the Turks dont really care what we Brits wear. They do have a different culture and how they dress is important to them, they have their own codes of what is 'okay' and what is not 'okay for both men and women.

We too i guess have an unwritten rule of what is okay and what is not okay to wear and what should be worn to certain places, ie the beach, a beach bar, a restaurant etc etc.  In my opinion i would say a Brits code is this: Beach wear is for the beach, shorts and t'shirts can be worn for any occassions and if you are eating you should wear something on your top.  How many of us would go into a bar or restaurant even on a hot summers day without a top on? Not many of us i dont think, I am pretty sure i dont know anybody.  Actually, i am not sure you would be allowed in without a top on?!! So if we dont do it at home, why would we do it in Kalkan, anyway the point is the Turks really dont care what we wear its the other Brits that do.

The only thing i would say is that women regardless of their shape and size walking around in bikinis (other than on the beach) be prepared to be stared at, by both English and Turks. Same applies to some bloke walking around town in a pair of speedos. It doesnt happen much and as with anything that is an unusual sight, people will look.  So if you dont want to be stared at then dont do it.

I personally think that topless bathing unless in private is completely inappropriate and if possible should be banned. i have no desire to sit looking at somebody elses, what should be, private body parts.  Again this is my view and I'm English and again i really dont think the Turks care, as long as its not their women.

With regard to 'asking for it' well i dont beleive that anybody is 'asking for it' but if you wear a very low cut top then expect people to look, men, women, english, turkish, german.  Its human nature and if you dont want people to look then dont wear one.  If you dont care, then knock yourself out

Offline kalkandiver

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2011, 08:56:13 AM »
I have made Kalkan my home for many years and I've seen it change in that time. The world at large is becoming more "skimpy" so it would make sense that it trickles down to our small village but it doesn't spell impending doom for the character & charm of the place.

The Turks working in Kalkan know that business is business in the end so they would not turn away a customer based on how they are dressed (or not, as the case may be). People working in Kalkan basically have six months to make enough money to carry them through the winter so they don't have the luxury to support a "No Shirt / No Service" policy.

What those same owners and workers may think privately can be a different matter BUT blanket statements are not appropriate because not all of them are from Kalkan, but from surrounding areas, the cities and from eastern Turkey. Each of these areas have their own ideas of what is acceptable and you could find your head spinning if you tried to meet all levels of acceptability.

So it comes down to each individual's judgement as to what they should be wearing and how they should be behaving. But be forewarned, as Pasha says, that any woman dressed in a bikini or skimpy clothing is going to be stared at . . . doesn't matter what country you happen to be in. So if the way you are dressing elicits attention that is unwanted then change the way you dress rather than complaining about the attention. If you want to be taken seriously in Kalkan (or anywhere, really), the way you dress creates the first impression - anyone who has ever interviewed for a job knows this. But if you're in Kalkan to escape reality for a week or two and are not really bothered about being taken seriously, knock yourself out, wear what you want . . . you're on holiday after all!

As for the idea that Turkish women would never wear bikinis or skimpy clothing . . . open your eyes. While everyone is talking about Kalkan as a British resort, over the past few years the number of Turkish tourists has been growing, which I think is fantastic and long overdue. Maybe Cosetta is too busy taking stock of what the British girls are wearing to notice that Turkish women visiting Kalkan are quite comfortable daytime or evening wearing resort wear which is . . . skimpy to say the least. So again, a blanket statement that Turkish women would never dress this way is simply wrong.

KD

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2011, 09:01:59 AM »
Well said KD. That should be the end of thread imo.

PW
re-branded & abbreviated

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal