Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: What would be the problem with using our real names, as on Facebook and Google.  (Read 11614 times)

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
 I propose that we are made to use our real names as they do on Facebook, that would go a long way to getting rid of the trolls, who get in the way of really helpful advice being given by people who have valuable experiences to impart.
Advice which is gathered from their own travels, and the many talented writers who contribute freely their holiday high’s and sometime lows and amuse many of us greatly on wet Mondays when we can only dream of that far off Holiday booked in December and still some months away.

Please point out the problems, the only one I can see is that it might make registering a little more complicated?

This is a serious  suggestion     Buster  (Barry Varney)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11371.0
My Pictures of Turkey can be seen at:            http://picasaweb.google.com/barryjv

Pet Nothing, Persecute Nothing.

Offline Mayday1

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 35
    • Share Post
  • Resident: No
Sounds good to me,Barry...........me being Mayday1.I hope lots more contribute and reveal their true identity.

All the best,

Bond,James Bond

chickengeorge

chickengeorge
Re: What would be the problem with using our real names, as on Facebook and Google.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:40:12 PM »
I really don't see how this can be done. Proving a real name is used is just about impossible and if it could be done it would put most people off from even joining the forum which would defeat the object of a forum. Apart from people's stories and useful information you do need some debate as well. You appear to be a resident Buster so not sure how many wet Mondays you see.

'Chicken' George Clooney

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
I have always used my name...... :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
How would you know it was their real name?

Some of the posters on a forum hide behind an alias, because they know that if people knew who they really were, they'd be knee-capped and marooned on Mouse.

And you know who they are  8)
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline MartynE

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 121
  • Living the Kalkan dream? Maybe...
    • Share Post
    • Kalkan Secrets

Offline misty

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 102
    • Share Post
Me too...well nearly  ;) ;) ;)

Offline whiteonyx

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 12
    • Share Post
i do too!
regards,
Dick Dastard--, oh no, drat, drat and double drat!!!!

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
I see no problem, I am on Facebook, and believe me, some of the debates raging there can get very heated, and bounce around the world 8) 8) 8)
I have nothing to hide, but somehow a pseudonymn (spelling?) on EK enables us to praise/discuss/solve? local issues that affect residents/visitors without insulting or inferring that the local populace are anything but helpful - of course, there have been some nasty incidents involving local people, but hey, that can happen anywhere.  I think it may be that Kalkan is so small, that everyone knows everybody else, made up name or not ;D ;D ;D  None of us are hiding anything, all my Kalkan friends know who I am, blast and damn it, there goes my cloak and dagger >:D >:D >:D >:D

Offline Buster

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 24
    • Share Post
I will soon be a non- resident as I’m hoping to get flown home for medical treatment, so you see I will soon be looking out the window and dreaming of my house in Kalkan .

But I take your point and the use of Avatars and pseudonyms is good fun and my wife has told me off as she thinks it is part of the fun trying to work out who’s  who.

So I think that another (Barry Varney) Buster idea bites the dust?   Thank you all for your views and comments.

Offline maryjane

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
Buster, sorry to hear about your medical problems - hope all goes well for you :( :( :(

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
Good luck with the trip back and I hope they can get you sorted Buster.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
kalkan4eva is my real name  :P
Barry/Buster I hope all goes well for you. Apart from family and friends, the NHS is probably the only thing I'd miss if we lived in Kalkan so best of luck  :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
Good luck Buster/Barry I hope you are back in Kalkan very soon.
I certainly had the best of Turkish health care when I needed it and its a shame you have to leave Turkey to find what you need.

As for using correct names or not,it seems to be the nature of these types of groups that people dont use their names but on here most people know whos who anyway so I dont think it really matters too much! Anyway,I personally dont like people hiding, if they have something to say,better to just say it and let people know who has said it!!

Sandra aka Amber

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
I use my own name too, sort of. It's a mixture of mine and my daughter lucies name and 20 is the day of my birthday. Mind you I'm a bit like Bazza in that I have many alias's - Elizabeth to Mum, Lizzie to friends and most of family, Liz to colleagues, Beth to one of my patients, Susan to another though God knows why  ??? Betty when my naughty friend is feeling mischievous, hopefully darling to Automan  :o  :-* and mum to our girls. Basically call me what you like and I'll answer!!!!  ;D
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 01:46:39 PM by Lizilu20 »

Offline mark

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 5
    • Share Post
    • Kalamar Meltem Apartments
I have used my first name since registering in 2008. I do the same on KTLN.  It has not caused me any problems of which I am aware.  However, I can understand why some people may not want to do so.

I do find the off-topic, wind-up or just trivial comments annoying and probably have not used the forum as much as in the early years.

BTW, it is good to see some straight forward, informative reporting from you recently Barry.  Your report on retiring here was one post I read with great interest when I first considered the move to Kalkan.  I hope the trip back to the UK goes smoothly.

Kendine iyi bak Ağabey,

Mark
Tripoli - Rome - London - Kalkan

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Domain Names

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Classifieds - Available

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2012, 01:38:55 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Is EnjoyKalkan on Facebook?

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Welcome & Frequently Asked Questions

0 Replies
Last post January 08, 2008, 08:33:09 AM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
New Facebook Group

Started by Wendy on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post April 06, 2014, 05:50:51 PM
by Wendy
xx
Facebook in our Profiles

Started by claire on The Everything Else Area!

9 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 07:57:43 PM
by claire

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

my little friend!

Views: 2952
By: kaz1865
Heart on the beach sunset