Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Kalkan Discussion => Holiday Reports and Reviews => Topic started by: Pompeyalbie on October 01, 2014, 10:37:44 AM

Title: Some Good News & Some Bad News
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 01, 2014, 10:37:44 AM
The good news is that's it's October 1st and that means on Friday we'll be on the 7:25 out of Gatwick bound for Dalaman. The bad news is I'm taking the Ipad & you'll have to put up with a weeks worth of my rambling blog again. We've got a new bucket list to try and achieve including going to Meis, me actually going in the sea off the town beach, strange that I've never done it before considering I go for a dip at every stop on the boat trips, I want to go up in the mountains to Islamlar as well. Being another year older on Monday I get to choose where we eat and last time we had a lovely evening at Adem's & always eat out there at least once so am tempted to go out to see them again but we have so many favourite places to eat I am struggling to make up my mind where to go. Looking forward to breakfast at Fener with that lovely view of the boats going out. My neice is staying in OD so will meet up with them for lunch in Fethiye on Tuesday, any recommendations of nice places to eat?. Weather forecast looks good too.
Title: Re: Some Good News & Some Bad News
Post by: Babs on October 01, 2014, 04:38:08 PM
Hooray....looking forward to your ramblings! :laugh:
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 01, 2014, 05:08:07 PM
Just noticed that on Friday through until Tuesday is Kurban Bayram, does that mean the boats will not be going out & some of the shops  etc will be closed for the festival?
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 01, 2014, 05:36:24 PM
Pompeyalbie, how exciting, just reading your report, I am smiling this end.  Fabulous that you have some lovely things planned.  I would definitely go to Adem's on your birthday, a very special place for us, and I love his Shrimp Casserole and Bob loves his lamb shanks.  If you are going to Fethiye when we were there in July, we would definitely recommend Mozaik Bahce Restaurant, not far from the old town which is called Paspatur.  Also if you fancy a drink, would definitely recommend the Deep Blue Bar with live music and great atmosphere, check the restaurant out on Trip Advisor, traditional local Turkish cuisine run by a Turkish guy and his English wife Nicola, it was fabulous and such a brilliant atmosphere.

You'll love the town beach for swimming, watch out for the turtles, it was amazing watching them this year from the beach, make sure you take your beach shoes for launching yourself though!  ;D

Can't say whether the boat trips will be running, but I would imagine they will be.  Not sure about the Banks being open though, worth making sure you have some Efes money just in case!

Have a safe journey, and a wonderful holiday.  Look forward to hearing all about it.

J&B
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 01, 2014, 08:44:21 PM
Hey! Not long to go Pompeyalbie! I'm jealous  :)
Post by: pattaya on October 01, 2014, 09:41:36 PM
Oh great stuff, look forward to it.
Enjoy :-)
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 01, 2014, 10:04:42 PM
I need to get some beach shoes as I'm such a wimp when walking on stones, I'll take my waterproof camera case & see if I can get some turtle photos. It's the Mouse Island swim this weekend as well so we'll have to make sure we get a good seat at Fener to see them arrive.
Post by: Haybo on October 02, 2014, 05:52:09 AM
Excellent! I have heard your reports are a good read! Enjoy Meis!
Post by: joycie on October 02, 2014, 07:57:59 AM
They had some wonderful light plastic beach shoes in a basket outside the shoe shop in the middle of town a couple of weeks ago.
Post by: macrefield mom on October 02, 2014, 08:29:25 AM
Tha banks will all be closed over this period, I was caught out last year and had to borrow!  So make sure you have plenty of lire available or no EFES!  ;D
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 02, 2014, 09:43:04 AM
Looking forward to hearing all about your latest stay, Pompeyalbie.
Shoes for the beach are everywhere in Kalkan and as its end of season you may even get a bargain.
Enjoy :)
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 02, 2014, 04:21:15 PM
Cases down from the roof, clothes inspected and given all clear so all laid out on the bed in the spare room ready for packing. Sudden panic over banks being closed lead to a trip to M&S to get some more TL, then I can't find the anti mossie plug so am despatched to get another. Confirmed that the taxi is picking us up at 03:30!! Video player loaded up with plenty to watch, batteries charged for cameras.So it looks like all systems are go  :)
Post by: joycie on October 02, 2014, 04:30:13 PM
Oh how I envy you. Have a wonderful time.
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 02, 2014, 06:40:00 PM
I'm with you all the way Pompeyalbie and feeling your excitement! I'm really looking forward to your posts. Hooe you and Janet have a wonderful holiday.  :)
Post by: hobbo on October 02, 2014, 06:42:07 PM
The beach shoe requirement reminded me of Antler and his Croc test http://youtu.be/7TsUg2oTMcU (http://youtu.be/7TsUg2oTMcU)  8) 8)
Post by: antler on October 02, 2014, 09:49:03 PM
Oh hobbo, I can't believe I was such an idiot!!  Thanks for reminding me, I am still crying with laughter. It was, afterall, a priceless, family hoilday and we had great fun. We talk about it often and it will probably go down as one of the best holidays of our lives. Isn't that fantastic?! In Kalkan, enjoying ourselves as a family.

Thank you for sharing and for the lovely reminder..

Steve
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 02, 2014, 10:01:12 PM
oh that just made me laugh out loud all over again :laugh: :laugh:
antler, you are like an extra from Madness in this clip...so so funny! Happy days  :)
Pompeyalbie, we need to have a similar outing for your new beach shoes....although you need to go to the steeper slope end of the beach near the cafe to give them a proper test. Kleo end is just too easy IMO :-*
Post by: Alce on October 02, 2014, 10:03:28 PM
We go out for the first time ever on Sat - good to have a warning about the banks being closed! Have a great time!
Post by: Haybo on October 02, 2014, 10:11:03 PM
I am soooooo jealous of all you guys going out this weekend! I am having early winter blues. I dont like autumn and i detest winter...roll on spring!  Please can we have lots of lovely reports to pull me out of this depression!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 03, 2014, 06:15:25 AM
Surely it's too early to be laughing out loud at 6am in the morning, but that clip has just had me in stitches Antler! hilarious.  You guys have a wonderful holiday, Pompeyalbie guessing you have checked in by now and are probably in the duty free browsing!!!!
Look forward to everyone's posts.  Yes Haybo, definitely early winter blue this end too, keep thinking back to the summer, and it feels like months ago now. 

Jayne  :D
Post by: macrefield mom on October 03, 2014, 09:14:09 AM
Don't panic too much about the banks being closed if you are able to take English currency with you as you can still change English notes to TL in the usual shops in town, like the Jewellers / all of those places with the boards outside giving you the exchange rate. 
Post by: kevtamuk on October 03, 2014, 12:24:37 PM
We are off tomorrow.  I assume that even though the banks are closed the cash machines will still be working - is that right.  We have some £ and a tiny bit of TL but not enough to last more than a couple of days
Post by: Irene on October 03, 2014, 02:22:00 PM
Yes, cash machines are working ;)
Post by: Kalkan Magic on October 03, 2014, 03:17:02 PM
We have found that they run out early as Bayram goes on so best to withdraw enough to last you just in case.
Post by: macrefield mom on October 03, 2014, 05:41:28 PM
Yes, don't rely on the cash machines as they will run out!  Take some English notes and change them when you get there is my advice.  Don't be caught short!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 03, 2014, 08:46:48 PM
We are here despite an hour delay at Gatwick due to late arrival of inbound plane.The lady pilot wasn't messing about once we go our slot she was out on the runway in the fog and upwe went. We are in a different Villa this time up a bit higher so it looks like get get a better wifi signal (unlucky readers 8), so good that with 3 bars I can get Film on Live app working so will be able to keep I touch with what's happening at home as TV only has snowy channels & no cable.
Been up since 2 so an a bit cream crackered so will try & write up a few notes in the morning not that we've done much since arriving.
Post by: Babs on October 03, 2014, 09:12:17 PM
 So many people going out around now......we'll be a week behind you!  :laugh:
Don't use up all the sunshine people.......have looked at the long range forecast and it's not so good!
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 04, 2014, 08:13:54 AM
Sorry you were delayed Pompeyalbie, but glad your there now safe and sound, imagine you are more refreshed this morning, horrible feeling when your tired and arrive late at night, but you soon forget on waking up in Paradise the next morning don't you. I'm quite scared of flying, and when I read fog and a lady pilot not hanging around, I felt somewhat sick!  ::)

Looking forward to hearing all about your holiday, and Babs not long for you now either, bet your getting really excited, am sure the weather will be fine for you. 

Jayne
Post by: Babs on October 04, 2014, 10:07:32 AM
Just off to get some cash out of the hole in the wall ready for bag shopping!!  ;D ;D
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 04, 2014, 01:31:40 PM
Guess what? Woke up to mountain to mountain sunshine after a good nights sleep. Back to yesterday, even though we were late arriving the Brave Tours man was there waiting with our car, amazed how they ask if you want to pay there or in resort. Anyway hit the D400 and made good time on empty roads, it was only as we passed Fethiye that we started noticing trucks or trailers with single goats in making their equivalent to "The Green Mile ". Got to town and picked up the keys to the villa which is 2 along from our usual one so a bit higher and thus a great view over the town & harbour. First job was off to Yali to stock up on essentials,you know bread,milk,soft toilet rolls, water and Efes. Ready for dinner we made our way down to town where I was nearly mugged 3 times due to carrying a bottle of Jim Beam for Ozay in MissSiver,it must be popular over here.We then made our way down through the streets saying hello to few old faces to take a roundabout route to Alternatif for dinner, Mustafa always gives you such a warm welcolme. We decided to forego starters and I went for the special Fish Casserole while Janet went for Ottoman Chicken which was chicken covered in mash potatoes and topped with cheese, both were a bit like a bottomless dish where it just went on & on, really yummy as the kids say.For sweets I had baked banana while Janet went for a fruit topped pancake. We sat chatting to the couple on the next table who also arrived the same day.I had another first, a Turkish coffee, I don't do coffee at all but was dared to try one and have to say I quite enjoyed it. After 2 wines & a Tonic & gin I had to help her up the hill again to get back to the car it's a good job she doesn't drive over here. Speaking of drivers there are some nutters about this weekend, first as we approach the turn off for Patara a car came towards us on the Wong side of the dual carriageway, luckily there were 2 lanes and then someone decided to go round the roundabout at the Kalamar Road the wrong way in front of us!!
Right Saturday morning we were up and down to the harbour to catch the Yildiz boys to try & book up but due to the festival it looks like not many boats were going out today so managed to get on with Osman for Wednesday,next stop was Images to get a nice pen for my sisters birthday.Due to my hat taking a battering in transit I needed a new Panama so found a nice one for a pittance.Time for a snack so down to Fener for a Turkish Breakfast and a cup of tea while we just sat and chilled for a while watching the world not go by. Seemed very quiet for a Saturday. On the way back to the car we stopped off to see Tumay and his son Ibrahim who was wearing his Pompey kit we sent over for him. Climbing back up the hill be dropped into ADDA Tours to book up a trip to Meis for Sunday. Next stop was out to Adem's to book up for Monday night for my birthday dinner, he was as welcoming as ever, we do love that place. The afternoon was spent by the pool chilling & with a decent wifi signal I found a nice Motown station in USA to listen to via Tunein App on the IPad. I'm off for a Turkish Bath before getting back to follow Pompey game via Twitter.
More tales tomorrow of our day in Meis and what  & where we ate, I thing Janet wants to go to Sade as the hints have been dropped. Right I'm getting warm so Ineed to get back in the pool.
Post by: Haybo on October 04, 2014, 06:23:22 PM
Lovely report! I hope you enjoy meis.  We stepped iff the ferry and spoke to a guy outside the Radio Cafe, cpt Costa, who offered to take us out to the blue caves, well worth it, but maybe read my trip report that includes day 9 or 10 for the full story!  We found it wuite expensive but had a good day never the less! Enjoy yildiz2.
Post by: Mrs M! on October 04, 2014, 11:08:09 PM
You must go to Sade it really is a gastronomical delight - you won't be disappointed!
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 05, 2014, 12:00:48 AM
Oh Pompeyalbie, it's been wonderful reading your report on a rainy windy UK day. I can almost picture your Kalkan day! Keep your lovely reports coming and hi to Janet too! 8)
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 05, 2014, 02:55:55 PM
lovely report...keep them coming :)
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 06, 2014, 07:29:20 AM
Saturday we did indeed go to Sade but until after I had stopped off for a shave & haircut at the shack. I only asked for a trim but there seemed to be a lot of snipping going on & now Janet informs me that most of my dark hair at the back has gone, no wonder he never put the mirror behind my head!! Glad I never had the massage at Atlantis after my Turkish bath as the barber really went to town on my back shoulders and arms, think I'll have another Thursday night. Right on to Sade, they just about squeezed us in up on the terrace but all the decent seats were gone so we sat at the top of the stairs. Once again we went without starters in favour of a main & sweet, Janet went straight for the stuffed Seabass with spinach,prawns & calamari, me I was stuck for choice, should I have the mixed grill or the steak I had last time? Then I saw the special chicken which was stuffed with spinach, onion, garlic, mushrooms & feta cheese that sounded good so I went for that, good choice, both dishes were superbly plated and an explosion of taste, ( I must stop watching Masterchef) seriously it was really nice & tasty. For sweet there was only 1 choice for me, the sweet that gets my award for best sweet in Kalkan, Fried Ice Cream, a dollop of ice cream coated in breadcrumbs the quickly deep fried, comes coated in a caramel sauce, absolutely gorgeous, Janet went for a boring Creme caramel but she enjoyed it.
On to Sunday morning, we were up with the sparrows as we were booked to be picked up at 08:45 to go to Meis. At 9:15 the transport still hadn't arrived so that was out the window as we'd never make Kas in time for the ferry. Whether he missed us or just never turned up I don't know, we hedged our bets by me being down at reception & Janet stood outside the villa but when a minibus passed by he never stopped & asked if we were his pickups. We waited until 10 then went down to ADDA office to find out, but his English wasn't too good so we rebooked for Thursday. So what do you do then? Obvious really head for Fener for breakfast & watch the boats go out for the day, none evened very full but the sea was calm. After that we headed back to the villa where we were met by the resident cat ho made herself at home & feasted on a few treats we brought out. We decided to head for Kas to give it another go as we weren't impressed last time just as the dark clouds started to build on top of the mountain. I think we stayed an hour before heading back, still not impressed. Spent the afternoon lazing by the pool listening to Tony Blackburn on BBC Radio London, the sun came out and I had another dip in the pool to cool off.
We had no definite plans where to eat tonight so when we bumped into Ozay & Tumay we asked who's been getting the rave reviews & they said Sade but we went there last night so then suggested Gourmet. We'd been there last October & had a nice meal so thought we'd go again. Up on the middle terrace we had a nice table looking over the rooftops plenty of full terraces at Escudo & Kalamaki which is always nice to see. Once again no starters but a complimentary Meze of sushi, my that wasabi is hot, good job I had an Efes to hand. Janet went for Sole Veronique while I went for a Turkish dish with a weird name Walnut Kuzu or something which consisted of pieces of lamb cooked in saffron & other spices with walnuts in a pomegranate sauce so you had sweet & sour flavours again. I had a huge portion & Janet's fillet was quite thick & totally boneless, so we both thoroughly enjoyed it. For sweet we both went for the Chocolate pear with ice cream, I expected a pear dipped in melted chocolate but no this pear was in a delicious red sauce with melted chocolate in a tube so hen you lifted it up it merged with the sauce and a ramekin of ice cream on the side, very artistic & imaginative.
It's been a strange day as we had no backup plan and were at a loose end all day, I wanted to do something but didn't know what.
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 06, 2014, 10:14:41 AM
Oh Pompeyalbie, how awful not to have been picked up for your Meis trip :( I certainly would not be giving them a second chance. There are plenty of Tour companies in the village offering this excursion....its a pretty poor show to forget passengers at this time of year when the season isnt as busy.
We love Gourmet - glad you enjoyed it too :)
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 06, 2014, 02:40:07 PM
K4E isn't busy?? It's heaving considering it's October. Being the festival there are lots of people around, I saw 2 coaches pull up as we walked back to the car this morning. More tales of another eventful day later on
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 06, 2014, 03:02:47 PM
Pompeyablie another great report, but so sorry you didn't get to go to Meis, but at least you have rebooked for Thursday, and I can guarantee you will love it there. We went to Gourmet this year, our first time, and I had the marbled steak which was amazing!  By the way, many happy returns of the day, hope you are having a lovely time, and enjoy Adems tonight.  Look forward to hearing all about it. 

Jayne :D
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 06, 2014, 03:09:57 PM
Happy birthday Pompeyalbie and enjoy your birthday meal tonight. Such a shame about Meis but I'm sure you'll enjoy it just as much on thursday. Not very good customer service by the sounds of things though  :(
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 06, 2014, 05:18:21 PM
Crikey...you're putting me off ever coming back in October. We've not come for the last few years as we had significant landmark celebrations so went off to pastures new. Couldnt get dates sorted between BH and I and our work commitments this year so in three seasons has it changed that much? I used to love the relaxed feel of the place and how quiet it felt compared to July and August....so gutted the place is heaving.
Have a lovely birthday meal in Adem's - look forward to your next report.
Post by: Christina on October 07, 2014, 07:32:13 AM
I would agree with KK being 'busy'. Although the temperatures are mercifully lower, the bars, beaches, restaurants and streets are almost as busy as I've seen them in high season, and the place is still throbbing. I have ended my evening with a nightcap at Cafe Orange opposite Merkez for the last few days, and last night around 10 pm watched a party of 7 being turned away as the place was already packed, with extra tables and chairs already taking up half the cobbled street towards the Quiksilver shop. Needless to say Merkez was also heaving all night (7TL for a beer!). Lovely atmosphere here though - Kalkan first-timers are clearly lapping it up! Sadly, after an impromptu rose wine-fuelled session at Moonlight Bar en route home, the streets of Kalkan aren't the only thing that is throbbing this morning  :-[
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 07, 2014, 09:38:40 AM
Glad Kalkan is busy.It will give some of the traders in the Old town chance to make some money back after the upheaval with the roads being dug up in winter ;)
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 07, 2014, 09:50:35 AM
true, BL :-[ I guess I was being a bit selfish wanting the place to be quieter (even though I'm not there..!) because that's how I like it in October. All part of the Kalkan changes I suppose. We'd still come even if it is heaving in October and it's certainly great for businesses as you say :)
Post by: Christina on October 07, 2014, 10:11:12 AM
Just to add, next season shows no signs of let up. Since I've been here I've had enquiries that could fill my apartment in October 2015 three times over. People are even asking about November availability. The weather right now is just perfect - like a hot English summer's day and the sea is like a millpond. Yesterday I spent a blissful few hours lying on over-sized cushions on the deck at the water's edge at Kalkan Beach Park watching the turtles frolicking nearby, ice cold Efes Malt in hand. Beats the frantic run-up to Halloween/Bonfire Night back home. Trick or treat!
Post by: Blue Lizard on October 07, 2014, 10:16:15 AM
Do Turtles frolick???..I just picture them floating along to tired to even put a hand over the mouth when they yawn ::) ;D
Trick or treat??? The Range had Christmas stuff out at the start of September!! sacre bleu!! :o
Post by: Bob & Jayne on October 07, 2014, 03:10:52 PM
Sunshine and sunbathing on those cushions at Kalkan Beach Club Christina, how lovely! can just picture the scene, efes to hand, turtles in the sea, absolutely bliss I imagine. 

Pompeyalbie where are you today? waiting to hear about your birthday celebrations? How was Adem's, hope you and Janet had a lovely evening/birthday? Was it too many Efes or are you still celebrating  ;D ;D

J&B
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 07, 2014, 04:51:01 PM
Monday morning,Janet is excited because it's my birthday but I can't be bothered with it all anymore. By the time I've opened the cards she brought with her time was getting on so I went to make a cup of tea and the milk had turned already, so the obvious answer was off to Fener for a light breakfast of Turkish tea with toast & honey. The plan was to drive to Islamlar & have lunch there. With the wifi being very flakey on Sunday night I hadn't had chance to look on Googlemaps or Tripadvisor to do any research ( you can guess what's coming later), so we topped up with petrol & off we set, although it's my birthday I still had my day job of coach driver & trip supervisor. Now I knew that tour firms run trips to Bezirgan & Islamlar so followed the road up & round the mountain to Bezirgan and followed the road to Emali expecting to see a sign post, we passed through Ikizce and up another mountain, then the road turned to off road where they are building a new one, down through some hairpin bends to a plain & the village of Camliova at which point I decided we were lost in the mountains with no St Bernard to rescue us. So I made the decision to turn back, not good timing as the local driving the car in front of us was weaving all over the road & his 2 kids were both hanging out the side window as he careered up the road so I hung back a bit. Then what do I see on the side of the road? Islamlar 5k so off we went up another mountain road until we got there. Not knowing which place to stop off I had to rely on Mrs "I don't fancy that one " to decide, soon we ran out of village & were on our way back. At a junction with a sign Fethiye or Kas I chose the wrong one and off we went until we arrived at Yesilkoy which was where I'd got Petrol on the D400 so I knew where I was. At the D400 junction I decided we'd go to Patara & see how the restoration work was going. After my climbing around the odeon etc for a while we were getting hungry so back to town and no need guess where we ended up for a toasted cheese sandwich & a beer.
Adem had agreed to pick us up outside Yali at 7 which he did, he'd had a busy few days with lots of big groups in for lunches & dinners which was nice but tonight ther were just us & a couple who had a villa in Kalamar. I decided to break the no starter rule and went for Calamari which I enjoy and as usual nothing in minuscule at Adem's it came with a lovely mustard & walnut dip. For main's Janet decided she wanted the Black & White Steak but felt she couldn't manage 2 steaks so asked for just the white one ( mushroom sauce), I stuck to my usual Lamb Shank which everyone comes arrives on fire. True to form it fell of the bone & it must have been a tall lamb as the bone was huge. We decided to have a sweet so Janet went for the Fresh Fruit Salad & I had a Banana crepe with ice cream which rounded off the meal nicely. Adem knew it was my birthday so sent his eldest over with a couple of complimentary birthday drinks, in the past we've had Ameretto so Janet went for it with a big sip, I was a bit slower in time to recognise the smell of brandy not Ameretto, the surprise on her face was hilarious & I couldn't stop laughing as she hates brandy, the did brink her an Ameretto instead but I was still laughing.
Tuesday being market day we are off to meet my niece & her husband in Fethiye to show then the sights of the market & jewellers.
Post by: Haybo on October 07, 2014, 05:53:45 PM
Well what an adventurous birthday you had! Sensing the  'spirit of Joycie' is creeping into your reports! Classic!

Have a great day tomorrow
Post by: joycie on October 07, 2014, 06:42:55 PM
So lovely reading the reports when we've already been back two weeks. Glad you're having a great time. Next time get one of the restaurants to fetch you its much easier.
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 09, 2014, 05:09:08 AM
Tuesday as always is market day in Fethiye, so we set off a bit earlier as we were meeting up with my niece & her husband. We did our usual trick of driving to calis Beach & getting the water taxi across. It was certainly a hot day SD the temperature began to rise under those awnings, we had to stop for an Efes half way round. I think Sarah was intent on doing her Xmas shopping the amount of bits she was buying. I'd had a purge on my shirts so picked up 3 nice replacements & had an order for some saffron to take back. After we'd marketed out it was back over to the harbour side for a snack & another Efes. Then it was Janet's turn to shop, so off we went to her favourite Fethiye shop who has had enough of my money over the years. She found a nice ring for her little finger which matched the last one she'd got there, I sat outside until I was beckoned in, by this time she'd bartered them down from £750 to £420 being a returning customer etc etc, luckily I only had to pay half as her birthday present. She wanted it in yellow gold not white so there was a 20 minute wait while they did that so we escaped & left her to wait. After a wander around the side street shops we got back to find her waiting outside grinning happily. Sarah & John got their taxi back to OD & us our water taxi back to Calis.
When we got back to the villa I thought I'd better show some interest in what I'd invested in & out of her bag comes not only the ring but a necklaces as well, seems it started at £500 but she got it down to £200 once agin for cash sterling. I give up.
Dinner was a bit of a disappointment, someone recommended Lipsos to us down at the harbour so we thought we'd give it a go, the menu looked okay. I saw Octopus casserole & haven't had octopus since having it as a tapas in Menorca years ago. It wasn't available so I went goes a seafood steak which was a fillet steak covered in prawns & calamari in a mustard sauce, Janet went for the grilled salmon. Both dishes were cooked really well & presented very nicely. For dessert I chose Apricot Dessert while Janet went for the Fried Ice Cream, which she'd had at Sade last year so knew what to expect. Mine were caramelised apricots with ice dream while her FIC was nowhere near the Sade equivalent. We enjoyed our meals but what really lets the place down is the service, there were only 4 of us in there when we ordered & it took an age to arrive, I asked for another beer & he forgot, nothing is written down. The staff are in polo shirts & jeans & just wander around I cannot see it surviving down there with the competition it has along that strip.
Wednesday & we were out with Osman on the Yildiz boat, I won't bore you with details as everyone knows what the boat trips are like. He has enlarged the bed space so there were 15 onboard so eating was a little cramped but he has plans to expand that next year by moving a few things around. Needless to say we weren't up for a meal tonight so managed to get a front row table at Merkez for a snack & a drink.
We called in to ADDA tour make sure they don't forget us in the morning in our second attempt to get to Meis.
Right time for some after sun as I am a little dark pink should we say.
Post by: Chris_S on October 09, 2014, 10:08:52 AM
Don't know how Osman is going to get more than 16 onboard at lunch - it's surely at capacity for meal times?
Post by: Lizilu20 on October 09, 2014, 11:04:49 AM
It was a bit awkward on Yildiz this year re dining. There were 11 of us and a family of 4 on the boat. The family of 4 had the top deck and we had the bottom which was great - plenty of room for us all, but we didn't really mingle with them until lunch - then we had no choice as it really was a tight squeeze. Three of them sat on a side table (like a fold up card table) at the side and 1 joined us on the big table. I felt really sorry for that family as the 3 on the card table were really squashed as were we - good job there were 2 very slim young kids in our party - we just hoped that they didn't feel left out. We all got on well and had a good natter and a giggle but it wasn't ideal.
At friut and cake time, Osman served theirs up on the top deck for them. We had a fantastic day, Osman and Zynap were excellent hosts and their little girl was a delight, but think we were more comfortable on Pina - x which only holds 12.

Attagirl Janet!  :)
Post by: kalkan4eva on October 09, 2014, 05:17:22 PM
The thing with Yildiz boats they are a victim of their own success. It used to just be Osman with a 12 berth boat and Adem with the smaller vessel that held 6. We have spent many happy hours at sea on Adem's boat, always hiring it just for ourselves but they were turning so many people away, it made sense to have two boats that hold 12. Now those boats hold 16 - 18 at a push but the dining area has remained the same on Yildiz 2 and its a bit...er....cosy. They are very aware of it and the fold out tables aren't ideal but becasue we love this family so much we are happy to muck in. This year for the first time in many years just BH and I booked for a trip so we were the outnumbered ones as there was a big party of maybe 12/14. They were lovely company as were the other couple so everything was good...but I can imagine if you didnt get on with your fellow passengers it wouldn't be too pleasant.
Janet you are a star shopper...Not one but two items of jewellery :) I would put money on those not being the last pieces you buy on this trip. Shame about the service at Lipsos, particularly if the food was nice.
Look forward to hearing more about your stay...hope you were picked up for your Meis trip today ::)
Post by: Haybo on October 09, 2014, 06:25:35 PM
Hope you had a good day in Meis.  go Janet with the jewellery shopping!
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 09, 2014, 09:30:46 PM
Thursday our last full day here, the driver turned up so off the Meis we went. A pretty uneventful journey although Janet was pretty unimpressed about having to hand over our passports for a long period of time, probably expects some terrorist t enter the country under her name. They'd get turned away as soon as immigration saw the lack of gold on them. Anyway we got there okay & have to agree it is pretty picture postcard stuff. We went to the church by the harbour but it was locked up, didn't take us long to find out why when we saw the priest having a Tuborg, a fag & chatting on his mobile at a harbour side bar. We wandered on round the harbour front passed the Greek naval ship which looked a bit like the Greek version of HMS Troutbridge looking at some of the crew. Saw a couple go into the mosque at the end so I thought at last a chance to knock one off the bucket list, wrong it's a museum now. After that we followed the route around the end of the harbour until it was enough for Janet's hip & the fact the steps looked steep. So I parked her on a seat and proceeded to climb up to the museum which was also shut. I then climbed the iron steps and the ladder to the top of the Crusaders fort. A nice view from up there but a little lacking in H & S. After clambering down and finding her where I'd left her it was time for some lunch, not a bad deal of a Greek salad, chip & fresh fish for €25 between us, 2 meaty fishes as well very nice & washed down with a Greek beer. After a bit more wandering we became a bit bored & it was only just gone 2 so we found a bench & had a siesta then a cup of tea & a latte before getting onboard to come back.
The final tale when we get back home, oh it was a beautiful sunset tonight.
Post by: pw on October 09, 2014, 09:36:52 PM
You're not selling Meis!

pw
Post by: Pompeyalbie on October 10, 2014, 09:37:30 PM
I never bought it PW, so how can I sell it?  ;D
Post by: Chris_S on October 11, 2014, 12:00:46 PM
It's Greek, So Germany own it, anyway....
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal