Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com

Other Areas => Kas and Meis => Topic started by: cleworthallray on October 21, 2018, 08:15:23 AM

Title: Meis
Post by: cleworthallray on October 21, 2018, 08:15:23 AM
Went for a day trip to meis in September for the first time this year after reading great reports about it. However we were all disappointed by it. We took a taxi organised by emin that arrived early at the dock office. Went through the most backward passport control system to get on the boat. I recognise the Turks and Greeks have their difficulties but it must be easier to get in and out of North Korea. Such a long winded process even to get your passports back in kas. They were wizzed off to the police station for an hour. Then after a few drinks waiting for them we were told another hour for our taxi to arrive. We tried the renowned old school restaurant. Yes the owner is charming but the food was quite tasteless. The loos were worse than a dive I had been in Paris 40 years ago as I watched the river seine passing below. But apart from the quaint houses there is little to see. Was very please to be back in kalkan for dinner. It was my birthday and the day ended well. Not sure what all the great reports were about but I thought I’d throw in a different point of view. As with us we gave it a go.
Title: Re: Meis
Post by: tortoise lady on October 21, 2018, 09:13:35 AM
Interested to hear your report, Cleworthallray (Hi, by the way).   All the years going to Kalkan and never yet been to Meis.   After reading recent good reports had planned to go in September but a heavy cold reduced my enthusiasm and we never got round to it.   Decided to wait until our next visit.

Maybe you were just unfortunate on this visit with regards to transport etc.   Meis itself always sounds so charming and worth a visit.   

I am sure more forum people will be posting on this - will be interested to see if anyone else found it disappointing.   Or a hassle with passports and transport.
Post by: felicity on October 21, 2018, 09:39:22 AM
Personally - I love going to Meis - been there 3 times this summer! But I would NOT ever go on the ferry again - always prefer to go with Capt Osman Muslu on his gulet - get a group of 12 friends or join a shared boat - much nicer. It is like a Kalkan boat trip day ending in Meis for a wander round after the ferry has left and then dinner in Meis followed by a starry crossing back. All for 55euros including a trip to the blue cave and several stops around bays in meis and a delicious bbq lunch and of course transport from kalkan. Yes the passports are faffy but much better when there is a max of 12 people! www.kasgulet.com - I cannot recommend him highly enough over the ferry!!
Post by: Alibobs on October 21, 2018, 03:05:42 PM
I would second what Felicity has said. We've avoided Meis until now precisely because we hadn't heard good things about the ferry, passports etc. We did the trip with Captain Osman in June and it was a brilliant day. He takes care of all the passport issues, you arrive at different times to the ferry so no queues, you get to see the Blue Cave, lunch and then are dropped in Meis after the day trippers have left. arriving into Kas at night is magical too .
Post by: DRBD on October 21, 2018, 04:42:17 PM
Personally blame some of the passengers as much as the authorities/ferry organisers both sides of the water, they will not wait as requested, they push & shove making it difficult for a)hearing names called out b)getting through the gate especially with luggage.
We have just returned from a few days on Meis, yes quieter time so no long ques infact very organised.
Post by: cleworthallray on October 22, 2018, 09:08:14 AM
Hi TL hope you enjoyed your last visit. Just come back from France and are having a week in Malta at the mo. Hope the planes are flying next year so we can visit kalkan again. Thanks felicity and drbd. Sounds like you have come up with the perfect way to visit meis packed with more to see and do and great food.  The cost of getting there. The cost of a poor lunch. The terribly antiquated system of getting there and back. We didn’t see any pushing but when your stood in a crowd waiting to hear your names shouted out like in a school playground it didn’t get off to a good start. My wife is hard of hearing and then get the pronunciation of your and many others names wrong it makes it hard work. I suppose you’re got to go through it to see what a farce it is. The value, content and simplicity that you have described sound great. The restaurant we went to had great reports but the food, cleanliness and choice were all wanting. Once you had something to eat, seen the very view sights there’s nothing else to do. You can’t just jump on the next boat as there is only the one at a fixed time so you are waiting and waiting. Once you get back to kas you are waiting and waiting for your passports and pick up. The fully organised trip is the way to go. BUT for any brave adventurers try the ferry. Lol.

Post by: Chris_S on October 22, 2018, 11:37:13 AM
Am I missing something?

When we visited Meis last year, our passports were returned when we boarded the ferry to Meis.  You need them to get into Greece!

Yes, it's faffing about while your name is called, and the pushing and shoving seems to be the 'regulars' not the tourists.  That was the impression,anyway.

Meis is a day out (or more).  You could go to the church and the mosque, but since the church closes before the ferry arrives, I believe you have to go to the mosque to get the guy there to let you into the church.  Very secular!

There's also the castle, but that seems a bit daunting, and haven't tried that - yet!

As for the transfer organisation, we had no issues, being picked up at the hotel, depositing our passports at a travel office near the harbour, getting a coffee and wandering down to the ferry for the ritual faffing about.  Coming back was back to the harbour travel office and the transfer back to Kalkan.

And incidentally, look up Castellorizo on the web to find out more history, the old pictures of the harbour full of sailing and steam ships, or even the Sunderland flying boat stationed there during the War!
Post by: DRBD on October 22, 2018, 12:29:12 PM
There are some really interesting things/ areas to see on the island, a walk around the back streets, a walk to Madraki harbour & back around to the main harbour. The views are beautiful. We both have mobility problems now so are restricted as to how far we can 'hobble' but still enjoy extended stays. A visit to the lovely bakers,
Then supermarket & their deli counter together with their wines, back to our hotel & balcony for a yummy lunch. A wander though the little streets as far as we can, sit for a coffee etc & watch the big ferry come in, not only bringing in passengers but all the goods etc ordered by the islanders, amazing what is then transported/collected & how they do it,  they must have the most used wheel barrows ever.
Ok you may not see all this on a day visit & yes it is frustrating getting in & out at times of the island but there is for a small place plenty to see & if you are a 'walker' then places to reach. 

Our one regret this last trip was how  more expensive things had become.

The gulet trip sounds great must try it some time.
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal