Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: A Weeks Eating Out  (Read 2652 times)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 89
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
A Weeks Eating Out
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:52:04 PM »
Seeing as I can't post on Holiday Reports, here's our weeks restaurant reviews.
Friday night we went to Alternatif. I went for the Sigara borek's , 3 large cheese boreks, while Janet went for the Prawn Pastries, 3 large prawn and cheese boreks, they were huge and more than enough, to wash it down I had to have my first Efes whilst Janet went for a tonic & Gin, that like a G&T but there's more gin than tonight. Mains I decided on the Alternatif Special fish casserole while Janet went for Chicken Hemess which she liked before. Neither of us managed to empty plates as we were both very tired & I was feeling pretty rough but there was no complaints about the food as it was as delicious as always. Seeing as she'd polished of the T&C she had a glass of Rose which seemed to be going down well as we sat chatting to Mustafa & a couple from Reading who were giving me stick as it was quite chilly when the sun went down & I was wearing a nice orange sparkly pashmina they gave me to wear. Suddenly 2 more drinks appear from Mustafa and I'm thinking "how am I going to get her up the hill after 2 wines & a T &G?" Still we managed it.
Saturday was Angora and we had a nice table by the balcony with a view, I was definitely hungry tonight but fancied a sweet tonight so we both decided to forego a starter. Janet decided on the fillet of sea bream on a bed of spinach & mustard mash while I went for meatballs in peppers, onions, apple in a creamy sauce. Janet's fish was cooked to perfection & the vegetables were very tasty she said, this was the first time I've had meatballs and have to say they were very nice, the combination of apples & peppers made the sauce really nice, it arrived aflame like most of their dishes. The specials were clay pots which seemed very popular as a lot of customers were having them. Although their selection go sweets were limited to about 6 but Janet had the Creme caramel while I opted for the fruit plate a selection of orange, apple & kiwi fruit. This was our 3rd visit there over the years & still remains on our favourites list.
Sunday was our all time favourite Adam's , he loves his garden so we brought him over a couple of boxes of flower seeds plus some from our friends who came with us last October.Apart from us there was just a party of 4 , because it was quite windy we sat inside. I was feeling quite hungry so decided to have a starter of calamari which were tender rings with a dipping sauce, sometimes calamari can be quite chewy but this was really nice, janet opted for just a main as she was having the lamb shank. Over the years we've been coming here she's never tried it, I opted for lamb chops which I haven't seen on a menu before, as usual the lamb shank arrived ablaze and she said the meat fell off the bone & was really tender. To finish we shared a fruit cocktail. It was a good evening as the other party were really friendly and we had a good laugh.
On to Monday and I'm so glad we booked at Sade it was packed, they must have turned away 7 requests for tables it is that popular. My wife decided to forego a starter but I opted for the fish cakes with a spicy tomato salsa followed by the seabass stuffed with prawns, calamari & crushed olives whilst My wife went for a fillet steak in a mushroom sauce. My fish just melted in your mouth while her steak was large and cooked just how she asked it to be. For dessert we were fascinated by what fried ice cream was so had to try it. Not some tiny ball of ice cream this was a boulder coated in what seemed to be a nutty case then fried and coated in caramel sauce, words can't describe it. We came here back in May 2012 when they first opened and I cannot believe we haven't been back until this year. I thoroughly recommend it and the prices are below what you'd pay for a decent pub meal in the UK, our bill including drinks came to less than £50 for both of us.
Tuesday we'd already decided on Kalamaki as our new place to visit & were lead to the terrace which looked like it had been redone for the season. We had the corner table closest to the harbour & I have to say this was the best view I've ever had from a restaurant roof terrace, it's an uninterrupted panoramic view of the sea absolutely great, I took loads of photos which I will put on the gallery. Janet decided to go all continental and have a Marguerita cocktail while I had my usual Efes. We decided to forego the starter again and for mains Janet had a Salmon Steak on a bed of mushy peas mixed with a herb she can't remember which came with salad & a small jacket spud, I opted for a Turkish dish called something like Mutacan, dice beef cooked in a sauce with apricots, figs, grapes, shallots &  pine nuts. It was so tasty ( I seem to be saying that about every meal I have but it's true), the chef's here are amazing what they come up with. Janet's salmon was cooked nicely & she's not a pea lover but I couldn't even scrounge a taste of the mushy peas. For desert we both opted for the Kalamaki Dream, a poached pear in red wine with ice cream and another delicious sauce. Being the first customers on the terrace,( it must've been closed before) the owner gave us an Ameretto on the house. Our bill was amazingly small considering the quality. I'd certainly consider going there again, the food was good, the service was good & the staff very nice too.
Wednesday we didn't eat out as being on the Yildiz all day we weren't a bit hungry.
Our last night was also a new experience, after reading everyone else's comments about Rami being at Ilyada we thought we'd give it a try, we don't normally venture down to the harbour at night but had to give it a try. I'd promised myself a steak at sometime this week so went for a peppered steak which came with rice, salad & mashed potato, never seen mash in
Kalkan before, it was done to just how I like it, pink but not bloody and the sauce was very tasty until I bit a peppercorn, pass the Efes quick. Janet opted for the seabass stuffed with calamari & prawns, I think she counted 4 fillets of seabass which were tender and melted in her mouth. For desert I had Turkish Delight & ice cream, warm squishy TD with vanilla ice cream & cream, Janet opted for Banana & Caramel Crepe with ice cream. The reception was lovely & very attentive from the greeter & 2 waiters, not sure which one was Rami as neither looked like Adem.
Friday morning and time to head home but we decided we'd see if Our House just around the corner was open for breakfast, I'd noticed them when we drove by on the way back from Bezirgan a couple of days before & Trip Advisor had them in top 5 so thought we'd give them a try. Janet wanted a cheese omelette while I went for a mixed omelette. Before this we had a selection of 4 jams, 5 different cheeses, tomato & cucumber salad with a selection of bread. I was going to ask if they could do us some sandwiches to eat at the airport but after this we didn't need it.washed down with an apple tea & a Turkish Tea the bill came to less than £10. No frills but service with a smile & home cooked food, don't know if I'd go for dinner but would certainly try it at a lunchtime.
I haven't mentioned the great snack lunches at Fener, Club Sandwiches, meatball sandwich, toasted cheese sandwich, eggs on toast & huge omelette and a great harbour view as well.
They should have a Masterchef competition in Kalkan with all these talented chef's around.

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12080.0
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:12:34 AM by Pompeyalbie »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: A Weeks Eating Out
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2014, 12:05:11 AM »
First of all....You did it!!! You posted a report, albeit in the eating out section. Loved reading this lovely array of delightful dishes - my mouth was watering. Have to say, I laughed out loud when I read you'd promised yourself a STREAK  :o :o. You will definitely get banned if you post that pic in the Gallery :)
Thanks for taking the time to review your eating out experience - utterly fabulous.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 12:16:50 AM by kalkan4eva »
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2014, 12:14:48 AM »
Ooops ,I've edited it now, my problem is I never proof read anything and this IPad does like predicting what you are typing. Managed to add some chunks to holiday report now but still loads to add.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2014, 12:18:05 AM »
Keep it up.....!

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2014, 09:55:59 AM »
Yum yum!!! Your meals sound delicious - licking my lips as I type  :)

Tell me about the ipad and predictive text - it's got me into trouble more than once. I think on one of our holiday reports, I inadvertantly typed that we'd pooped  to Hobbo's or something along those lines  :o  :o Thank goodness for the modify button  ;D

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2014, 02:56:11 PM »
Meatball sandwich at Fener.....how has my OH missed that one?!  :o

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2014, 04:31:05 PM »
How come the Meatballs don't roll off?? ;D ::)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Pompeyalbie

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
You stick a fork in them and they go down like a flat football  ;D they are really nice.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
eating out ?

Started by kazaroni64 on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

11 Replies
Last post November 01, 2008, 01:22:43 PM
by jarvis108
xx
Eating out

Started by Southend on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

8 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 09:16:51 AM
by clara 50
xx
Cost of eating out?

Started by eobphoto on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post May 27, 2012, 12:24:41 PM
by Skunk
xx
Eating out with kids

Started by faysonghurst on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

12 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 11:00:02 AM
by Kalkan regular

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mosque

Views: 2420
By: Pompeyalbie
Dusk