Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Moonlight bar  (Read 17655 times)

Offline HEATH

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
Moonlight bar
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:48:53 PM »
Anyone know when moonlight bar will be opening
Thanks

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=11989.0

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
Re: Moonlight bar
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 04:14:51 PM »
They usually open on May 1st, although they did open for Easter a couple of years back when Easter was quite late in April. If they didn't open in time for Easter, it will probably be next week.
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline HEATH

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 04:37:16 PM »
Thanks kalkan4eva
Fly out on the 1st may so good timing ;D ;D

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 05:43:52 AM »
Sorry to disappoint fans, but unless something drastic happens (and it could well do in KK!), there will be no more Moonlight Bar as it was in years gone by. Whilst they are working on a new bar/DJ area and dance floor inside, there is no longer room for masses of tables and chairs outside due to the reconfiguration of the roads. The new concrete bollards come right up to the entrance of the building. If they tried to put tables on the other side of the bollards, they would be using the pavement, which in turn would force pedestrians onto the roadway - which would be dangerous. Looks like it could be the end of an era.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:59:49 PM by Christina »

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 07:45:17 AM »
Are the Spikes still across the road by the taxi rank that make It (sort of) pedestrian at night?...cant see it being big enough inside..or cool enough!  ::)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 08:58:25 AM »
None at the moment but there still some work to be done to finish of the end of the road, so it is possible that the spikes could be reinstalled.   

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 09:26:24 AM »
I just presumed that the tables and chairs would go after the bollards on the pavement and road at night due to the pedestrianisation of the old town. Have you been told officially that this won't happpen Christina? It will be a sad day for us if we can't sit on that slope and watch the world go by in August  :(

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 12:15:55 PM »
The tables and chairs were always in the "road" after a certain time anyway...weren't they? You couldn't tell where the pavement ended and the road started and its a pretty big space just to be road..? My understanding is that the old town would still be pedestrianised in the evening..? Perhaps this has now changed..?
As BL says, inside is far too small, unless its going to open up tardis-like at the back..? Even then, its that outside viewing capability that makes Moonlight...well Moonlight. It would indeed be a sad day if this was the end of Moonlight as we know it, but I can't help feeling they will find a way to work around the new layout. Those tables represent a lot of pages in the notebook :-\
Any updates you can give us would be most welcome, Christina. Eyelashes also :-*

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 12:41:05 PM »
Controversial I know, but hopefully there won't be any room for those huge TV screens!

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 01:45:08 PM »
I'm with you on that Tatilde....I have no problem with people watching sport etc while on holiday I just wish they could do it indoors.
(Ducks head and waits for flack!!)  ::) ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 02:05:23 PM »
It might stop Moonlight and Utopia - they appear to have the same problem according to a photo I've just seen - but not Yali Bar. And theirs is the biggest TV of all ::)
Everyone is entitled to their view and appreciate it might be annoying for people who don't like sport and/or do not think they are in keeping with the village. Its another of those demand dictates things.... :-\

Offline Tomcat

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
There's always the Kleo Bar, that's always been our favourite.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 11:20:02 AM »
Does Kleo Bar have a large TV Screen? I can't remember...?! Perhaps we need a list of places that have large TV Screens and those that don't...there's hopefully something for everyone :)

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 01:34:15 PM »
No, the Kleo does not have a large TV and long may it last. We always go to The Kleo bar as it is quiet. I am afraid I agree, by all means watch whatever sport but do it inside. I actually find it quite sad that people can't go away for a holiday without having to keep up with whatever is happening sports wise. I am pretty sure I am in the minority though!

Offline geirarne

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 09:53:03 PM »
Tomcat!
I guess When the new plans for the harbour is implemented Then Kleo Will be gone.
One has already started with Fener.  At least modifying the appearance off Fener.
Kleo is very Nice but i worry for it for the future. That there Will be no space for kleo in the new plans.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 09:55:25 PM by geirarne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 10:13:48 PM »
Each to their own, msr. For some people catching up on sport is part of their holiday - the two are not mutually exclusive. There are plenty of things people do on holiday which annoy me, but I wouldn't be so rude as to call them sad....

Offline geirarne

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 10:32:51 PM »
K4e!
I have never watched sport at kleo. However it has the most fantastic view to the sea and to
The Beach from the tables next to the  fence.  Regarding Your Comment on sport: let just people
Do what they like during their holiday. If watching sport  is what they get happy and relaxed
Over Then full respect from my side. We cannot all like the Sun, swimming,good food, fantastic view,Nice turkiish people. ;)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 10:36:14 PM by geirarne »

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 11:16:04 PM »
geirarne, thank you. Absolutely people should do what they want on holiday...personally I love the sun, swimming, good food, nice views and the wonderful Turkish
people, many of whom I count as my friends. But I also like shopping, reading, spending quality time with my BH and, when they are with us, our children, having a drink or maybe two :-[ and hang me from the rafters, catching up with not only sport, but news and sometimes even work whilst I'm away. Thats just me...! The FIFA world cup is only once very four years and it's quite an important tournament to those who follow football.
We have been to Kleo Bar lots of times, and sat at the very tables you mention. We will make an extra special effort to sit there many times when we are there in June, just in case the new plans mean we lose this lovely bar as we know it right now.
However, that said, this thread is about Moonlight Bar, quite how it's got high jacked is beyond me?....we will incur the wrath of the moderators :-\ :-[

Offline Christina

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 03:22:28 AM »
Even if the tables at Moonlight are moved over the bollards onto the pavement, I think the gradient of the new road would be too steep to accommodate them.

Fener is now sadly a shadow of its former self - although the views, food and hospitality are still wonderful.

As for Kleo, I have been down there a couple of times this week, and although the little terrace directly outside the bar is open, the tables and chairs are no longer across the road overlooking the beach. According to the new harbour plans - this space will be given over to 'public use', and all the other bars/restaurants will also have to close down their waterside tables to allow for the development of the new public space. Whether Kleo is preparing now for the change, or has just not got round to putting the rattan furniture out - I do not know.

I know the season, according to some, is not yet in full swing, but I hope the Belediye will soon be removing the piles of rubbish and smartening up the public parts of the harbour and steps. It doesn't bode well for when the council will be in sole charge of the maintenance of the whole stretch of the harbour front from the Pirat to the Pinar Bufe behind the beach. At least at the moment each restaurant sweeps and hoses down their waterside dining terraces every day to keep them spotless. I hope I am wrong but I cannot see the council keeping on top of the daily discarded food debris, dog-ends and plastic bottles from picnic goers in the new public areas. Let's see.

Many bars in KK have over the years become institutions for some Kalkan lovers (including myself), but given the substantial changes that are afoot it might be best if visitors know about the impact of these before they arrive to avoid disappointment. There are still lots of great places to go, and the magical KK atmosphere has not changed.

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 08:49:08 AM »
Thanks for keeping us up to date Christina. I have a confession to make......in 9 visits to Kalkan I have never been to Moonlight!! There I've said it!  ;D
No particular reason why not, but have been to lots of other bars....I suppose we all find favourites?!
Sadly for us two of our favourites are Kleo and Fener. Kleo is/was a lovely place to sit and watch the sunset and I could wax lyrical about Fener for a long time.....breakfasts with that view!!

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Moonlight Bar

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

62 Replies
Last post August 03, 2008, 10:35:09 PM
by moonlight
xx
moonlight bar

Started by HEATH on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

9 Replies
Last post May 04, 2010, 06:52:52 PM
by sunnysideup
xx
moonlight

Started by yakamoz on Accommodation and Hotels

2 Replies
Last post February 12, 2012, 08:07:21 AM
by Bob & Jayne
xx
Moonlight webcam

Started by BarbH on General Discussion

14 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 06:32:23 PM
by JenJen

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

My pet dog Millie

Views: 3349
By: tiamaria
Patara