Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mulberry etc - rough guide on what to pay anyone please?  (Read 12312 times)

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Hi All,

We've had a look at some Mulberry handbags and while I know its a difficult question to ask is there a typical price range and how hard do you guys haggle? One bag was priced at £140 before haggling and its very nice but obviously we want to get it for a fair price so anyone have a rule of thumb for this?

Also the watches are nice and I read some advice on a different thread saying they tend to be 80- 100 pounds - is there a best place to buy these from or is a case of wherever you feel the most comfortable with your purchase?

Any advice gratefully received

Lee n Kelly

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12972.0

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Re: Mulberry etc - rough guide on what to pay anyone please?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 05:00:23 PM »
The short, but not very helpful answer to this is......it's worth what you are prepared to pay!
Everyone has a favourite bag shop. Do lots of research as you will see the same bag in various shops and some will be better quality than others. Without knowing the style of bag it's hard to say.
One thing I know for sure tht if it's good quality leather and you love it then it is a bargain......think about how much the similar bag would cost at home.
I imagine now various people will pop up with a rant about not buying fake goods.......... >:D

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 05:58:33 PM »
We play the half game... Offer half the price and see the reaction.if the person hasn't fainted or thrown you out of the shop move up to about 3/4 of the price in small increases ... £140 would be about £80 to £100 tops in our shopping mode......don't be afraid to walk away(slowly) in case they want to call you back which they often do >:D ;)
(Without seeing the item it's hard to gauge but as Babs said if you are happy with the price it's a bargain anyway)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 06:03:36 PM by blue lizard »
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 06:08:51 PM »
The short, but not very helpful answer to this is......it's worth what you are prepared to pay!
Everyone has a favourite bag shop. Do lots of research as you will see the same bag in various shops and some will be better quality than others. Without knowing the style of bag it's hard to say.
One thing I know for sure tht if it's good quality leather and you love it then it is a bargain......think about how much the similar bag would cost at home.
I imagine now various people will pop up with a rant about not buying fake goods.......... >:D

By similar, I assume you mean genuine. So really there's no comparison!!
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 07:12:24 PM »
Absolutely pw!  :laugh:

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 08:29:44 PM »
Thanks all, I think we'll have a look at some stuff in the market tomorrow and if we don't like anything there we will wade in with an £80 offer for the bag and see how that sits with the seller.

Offline Lola1

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 09:03:47 PM »
The bags in the market will be a lot cheaper - and with good reason. My daughter and I both made purchases one year and our both bags survived a matter of weeks. The ones in the shops tend to be much better quality and, in my opinion, a better buy but, as has already been said, quality varies and you get what you pay for. Don't be taken in either by the trick of holding a lighter to the corner of a bag to demonstrate the fact that it is "leather." That's just a meaningless gimmick that will be used by stall holders, not shop keepers.

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 10:51:21 PM »
The shop keepers seem to have set prices and I doubt you will haggle them down by much.  As has been said you pay for what you get. The quality in most shops in town is excellent.  Personally I wouldn't touch the ones in the market, they are cheap and look it.

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2015, 06:47:54 AM »
OK well I'm glad I mentioned the market in that case. Perhaps we'll stick with the shops for bag\watches but go have a look around for other stuff.

Offline macrefield mom

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2015, 08:14:31 AM »
Yes I agree, the market bags are not good quality, stick with the shops which are busy, most popular ones include BSG, Misty May..but as others have said, these shops will not give you big discounts as the quality of leather is high and therefore you are buying a quality product that has been made often in their own factories. Expect 10 - 15% discount.

Yes you can find cheaper shops, but those who allow you to barter for big discounts, you will find will be reflected in the quality of leather. 

When you step into a shop and the smell of leather hits you straight away, it is usually a good sign!

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2015, 09:46:33 AM »
Hello michiganstar, I'm really glad you have been warned off the market bags before you made a purchase. When our girls were younger, we would let them buy bags in the market - for no more than £20 as they soon got sick of them or they fell apart.
That said, there is a stall in Kalkan market which sells Longchamps totes and I will buy from her as they are the same quality as her shop in town (and the same price for cash..). This is Chic (not to be confused with Simply Chic on Kalamar Road) and if you have a look in her shop just down from Baharat she has some nice quality Mulberry bags at very good prices. BSG offer 10% discount for cash but wont barter (their sale bags upstairs are the best value in Kalkan if you aren't too fussed about a particular brand or style. When we were there in June they had some lovely Fendi Peekaboo bags for £75 which I would have bought if I didn't already have one :o The London shop opposite Yardan has lovely bags too but probably the most expensive in Kalkan and he wont barter either.
Look around, all the shops tend to have the same bags. Check the quality and stitching before you start to get into an exchange - not worth wasting yours and their time if the standard isn't what you want.
We have bought from probably every bag shop in Kalkan and I have not had a problem with any of them.
Happy bag shopping!
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline michiganstar

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2015, 09:01:16 PM »
Thanks for everyones help - we bit the bullet and bought the Mulberry she wanted from Class for a fair price. That's two bags and a scarf now so hopefully that'll be it for shopping. Lovely Turkish owner but the blonde english tlady in there came across as very rude (you were quite short with us if you're reading this) - she was probably having a bad day as it was very hot.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 05:41:56 PM by michiganstar »

Offline killabeezz

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 04:33:05 PM »
Defo one not to be missed out is 'shoe la la'
A lady called Charlotte runs it and we've found her to be very pleasant, a good stock of items and very good on pricing.

IOHM of course

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 08:14:43 AM »
I've ordered a mulberry clutch and a Stella McCartney Falabella from BSG, got 15% discount and still got some birthday money left.  :) The mulberry is being made to order as they didn't have the colour I wanted. I'm very happy with the service and quality.

Offline RosiB

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 11:19:49 AM »
Well done, Liz! I LOVE BSG!! Enjoy the rest of your time. x

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 01:05:55 PM »
Girls a handbag question for you  ;D, last year OH bought me a Mulberry primrose from the bag shop at the top opposite the jewellers (Orange carrier bags) I have never used it and would actually prefer a nice tan Bayswater, so I was wondering if they would change the bag I bought last year for a Bayswater when I'm back in 3 weeks!!!!! ;D

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2015, 06:22:24 PM »
It depends how well you know the owner of the shop. I would contact them in advance and ask rather than pack your bag and bring it with you. I would venture probably not, but hey this is Kalkan, they may surprise you :)
I think you are referring to Mulberry London shop are you..? Opposite Yardan?

Offline Holidaylover28

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2015, 08:16:27 PM »
Nope not that one, it's the one opposite the jewellers where the webcam is, I think it's the jewellers wife who owns it?

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2015, 08:34:51 PM »
I think it is Mulberry London shop.  Two brothers, one in the jewellers, the other in the bag shop,opposite.  Not sure that they will change one for you, as K4E suggests I would try and get in touch with them in advance of going.  I have changed bags with Nuri when they didn't suit my daughters but really not sure that London/Class will be as accommodating.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2015, 12:12:29 AM »
I've also swapped bags with Nuri, but he knows us well and I contacted him in advance.
If its not Mulberry London, I'm not sure which shop you mean. I dont recall a webcam in this area though...there used to be one Moonlight for a few years but not anymore.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Tough love - a bit of the rough stuff

Started by Baggers on General Discussion

3 Replies
Last post March 28, 2010, 12:42:05 AM
by kim21
xx
Mulberry Handbags

Started by jennywren on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

37 Replies
Last post September 03, 2012, 04:15:47 PM
by Bee
xx
travel guide

Started by molly on General Discussion

2 Replies
Last post December 11, 2008, 06:39:11 PM
by AnnieM
xx
Guide Books

Started by jer on General Discussion

9 Replies
Last post June 20, 2011, 08:46:57 AM
by jer

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Mini Mee Cuddle.JPG

Views: 2888
By: Lindy
Kalkan street