Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Mussakkaa: Table 31, 9.30pm Sunday 30th August  (Read 2897 times)

Offline antler

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 48
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Mussakkaa: Table 31, 9.30pm Sunday 30th August
« on: August 31, 2009, 06:47:25 AM »
It wasn't by coincidence that we ate at Mussakka on our last full evening in Kalkan in 2009. We ate at Mussakka because this is the restaurant we wanted to spend our last, relaxing moments in Kalkan eating exceptional food. And we got what we went for.

Mussakka is exceptional. It may be the new kid on the block, having only opened in April, but it is going to grow and it will soon be in the Top 3 Restaurants that people enjoy in this resort; trust me.

The menu at Mussakka tells you what International food you want to eat then delivers it exactly as it says. Consistently. If this restaurant was in the UK, you would go for your wifes's birthday; you would go for your own birthday; your face would light up if it was a gift in a Christmas card. And you'd go on a Friday night when everything had gone wrong at work that week and you wanted something, solid, reliable, not in your face, but just delivering exactly what it is there to do. It serves excellent, gorgeous food. And it serves it very well.

It's small, maybe 30 people at one time, upstairs on  a Terrace. The view is nice but not the best in Town. You don't go there to be seen. You go there to eat good food and to be served very professionally my Mahmet and his Team, in a serious and pleasant manner. You don't know the waiters are there, unless you need to know. And when the food comes, it is exactly as described and served precisely; this food has not been created by some latex gloves. This food has been cooked by Chef's that know what they are doing. And love it.

We had some new things last night and we had some favourites. OJ had the homemade mushroom soup again and I had the garlic mushrooms. Four garlic mushrooms, stuffed with cheese with garlic butter. Not 6 or 3, but 4 mushrooms because that is exactly the number of mushrooms you will enjoy before a main course at Mussakka. Trust me. Trust Mussakka.

Previously, OJ had the "Surf 'n' Turf main course. Tonight all 3 of us had it when we were on our last night and nothing could be left to chance and nothing could go wrong.  Mrs A said her's was cooked to perfection. OJ finished first. I didn't know fillet steak could be this good.  It wasn't half a cow; Mussakka knows you don't need half a cow, it was a large fillet steak, with two enormous grilled prawns on top, that took off their shells for you as you went to eat them, and you could just taste the sea.

It came with grilled potatoes - not chips or mash - but grilled rounds of potato, just browned around the edge as Mussakka knows you like to eat them. And some beans and carrots.

In the UK, just the steak in my local restaurant is £19.95. And it's a la carte. They don't add the king prawns. The staek is vaiable. Sometimes tough. Here in Mussakka that incredible meal is 33TL. Isn't that nearer £13?

It was nearer midnight when we finished the complimentary spirits and thnked Mahmet for allowing us to share his dining experience. And of course we will be back.

I would take the 4 hour flight from Dalaman just to eat again in Mussakka, even if I did nothing else; but I might do it two or three times before flying back.

Go enjoy - and ask for Table 31.

Antler

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=4279.0

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
  • Owner: Yes
Re: Mussakkaa: Table 31, 9.30pm Sunday 30th August
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 08:15:58 AM »
Thanks Antler, not one we have tried yet but we will certainly be going in September now  :)

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 11:08:50 AM »
Another great report Thank you. We ate in Moussakka twice in June and the experience was just as you described it (although we ate differnt food!) I had their signature dish which is of course Moussaka and it was absolutely delicious. I wish Mehmet all the best with his new venture.

Offline clooneyrooney

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 11:57:47 AM »
I agree with your comments. We tried Musakka when we were out in May and it was in our top 3 restaurants to revisit for our trip in August. We always go to whatever turns out to be our favourite restaurant for each trip on our last night, which was Musakka and it was a fantastic end to our holiday.
Our other favourites from our August trip are Baharat and Nar which are on a par.

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 02:13:04 PM »
We also went there in August and absolutely LOVED it - wish Mehmet all the best..!!  :D
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline Mags

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 63
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 12:13:18 PM »
Go enjoy - and ask for Table 31.

Antler

You need to be a bit careful asking for table 31 - if you do it in Turkish. "Otuz bir" is slang for something rather rude, so could result in some funny looks from waiters! Safer to stick to English - or have another table as your favourite.

Offline Kuzu

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 4
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 12:45:23 PM »
Mussakka is great, the food, the staff, mm might try to get in there 2nite..say try because its always busy, what etter recommendation!  But love Antlers description, its so true...
Well Done Memhet

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
The Olive Garden - Table 9, 9pm, Saturday 29th August

Started by antler on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

14 Replies
Last post September 06, 2009, 02:32:36 PM
by Chrissie
xx
Antlers Final Full Day – Sunday 1st August

Started by antler on Holiday Reports and Reviews

1 Replies
Last post August 03, 2010, 12:34:44 PM
by Babs
xx
Live from Kalkan...Sunday 16th August

Started by antler on General Discussion

7 Replies
Last post August 18, 2009, 12:02:45 PM
by Speed Freak!
xx
All weather table tennis table

Started by Anne on General Discussion

8 Replies
Last post January 19, 2013, 09:40:15 AM
by onelove

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal