Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Opening for summer  (Read 7462 times)

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 22
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Opening for summer
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2012, 05:13:11 PM »
Thanks Bluelizard!!! ;) :) :) :)
Nicky

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 40
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2012, 05:39:10 PM »
For really authentic Turkish cooking  - offering dishes you will  not find on any restaurant menu, there are two quite exceptional small places in Kalkan.  In both cases, the traditional recipes are those of the owner's family, refined over generations and the food is cooked by the owners mothers. They are passionate about food, and only use local ingredients

Both these restaurants offer the simple, yet delicious dining experience you could find in Kalkan ten or more years ago before Kalkan became the sophisticated resort it is today.

The first is the Moonlight Terrace Restaurant above the Moonlight Pansiyon (not connected to Moonlight bar)  at the start of the Kalamar Road on the left hand side, just past the turning where chillies restaurant is located. The view from the terrace is stunning, an almost 360 degree panorama of all Kalkan,  the mountains and sea. There are only about seven tables, so it's always worth booking.  There is a small set menu with a choice of four or five starters and main courses and several delicious traditional Turkish desserts.  Last year the 3 course set menu was just over 30 lira per head, the two course about 27 lira.

The other place is Cafe Leon, in the heart of old Kalkan, where Levent's mother Hamide cooks wonderful, Turkish food every day and once a week they have a Turkish evening, when Hamide prepares a surprise menu of authentic Turkish dishes, always delicious  .Again it's a small place so you should book.

Both are fully licensed.

In fact we are going there this evening so will report back on what we ate tomorrow.

Afiyet Olsun

Lantana

Offline Charlie

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 68
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2012, 05:52:56 PM »
Aspendos in Patara is also fab for food and they do have a licence to sell alcohol.  The owner is the brother of the guy who owns Tlos.  Definitely worth a try.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »
Look forward to your report Lantana on Cafe leon as this is on our list for June, a definite for lunch as we are staying at the Pirat and i believe Cafe leon is not far from the hotel, and we also fancy trying the Turkish evening.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2012, 01:45:19 PM »
Nicky, you have to pop along for there for afternoon tea and cakes....the best carrot cake ever  ;D
This is my guilty pleasure in Kalkan ;)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline alantj

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2012, 04:06:25 PM »
Hi kalkan4eva,

I am  thinking about getting a water hammock but would it does fit in a standard (i.e. the biggest allowed) hand luggage bag.

Regards

alan

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2012, 05:18:31 PM »
The afternoon tea and cakes sounds a very good idea!! :) :)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2012, 05:29:04 PM »
Holmfirth Nicky

Cafe Leon is a three minute walk from the Pirat, up the flight of steps beside the Pirat old building.

On Wednesday evening we had a wonderful meal.  The first course was a plate of mezze with 9 different selections including mercimek kofte (spicy lentil kofte) mucver, (courgette and herb fritters) and a beetroot puree which was so delicious that I could have eaten several helpings and I am not even a beetroot fan.

The main course was Tere kofte.  This is thin slices of prime beef, rolled together into a cigar shape, braised in a richly aromatic and full flavoured tomato and herb sauce and served with sebzeli bulgur, which is cooked in stock with a variety of vegetables.  The beef was delicious and melted in the mouth and the bulgur was the perfect accompaniment, light and bursting with flavour.

At this point, we thought we could eat no more but simply couldn't resist the last course, Revani, which is a Turkish sponge, made with semolina and lemon and soaked in a sugar sauce.  It is not overly sweet as the flavour of the lemons cuts any undue sweetness but succulently moist and again, melts in the mouth. It was served with vanilla ice cream.

The Turkish food evening is every Thursday. Each week Hamide prepares a different menu.  The three course meal is 40 lira per head.  Wonderful value for  a really special dining experience and great atmosphere.

We'll be there again next week.

Lantana

The menu changes each week

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »
Just to be clear, we were there last night, Thursday, not Wednesday as I said in my previous post.  We never have a clue which day of the week it is here but looking forward to having  a relaxing day tomorrow, Sunday!

Lantana

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2012, 06:10:45 PM »
Oh Lantana, that menu sounds delicious, definitely on our to do list for July. How wonderful for you to not know/care what day it is!!! Bring on retirement!!  ;D thanks so much for posting.

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2012, 06:48:54 PM »
Thanks for the post Lantana, sounds fabulous, will have to give that a go!!
Can you ask for a choice of meat do you know as i prefer my chicken?
Thanks, Nicky.

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2012, 07:18:45 PM »
alantj, I think I've posted on another thread somewhere that the water hammock folds into a bag (included) that is approx 2ft square. Not sure how that compares with the standard hand luggage dimensions but I always bring a ginormous bag onto the aircraft as I have to pack all my blingy foowear to save on hold luggage weight that feels bigger than that ::)
Lantana, you've convinced us to try Cafe Leon for the Turkish Night - sounds lovely :)

Offline Lantana

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2012, 07:44:34 PM »
Hi Holmforth Nicky

When you make your reservation, you will be asked if you have any particular prefences or dislikes and the menu is planned accordingly . So if you wanted chicken rather than lamb or beef, Hamide  would tailor the menu to suit you.

Lizilu, retirement is wonderful but somehow we never have enough time in the day to do all the things we had (foolishly) planned.  We talked about this at lunch today  with good friends who also took early retirement and all of us agree that  no matter what sacrifices you might have to make, give up work as soon as you possibly can.  We all had jobs which were enjoyable and satisfying but our lives are so much richer since we stopped working and every moment of every day is cherished and appreciated.

We do know how very lucky we are.

Lantana

Offline HolmfirthNicky

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2012, 08:02:58 PM »
Many thanks Lantana.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
New venture opening

Started by Blue Lizard on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2009, 04:10:03 PM
by alshepuk
xx
Olympic opening ceremony

Started by mitch on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post July 27, 2012, 05:44:44 PM
by mitch
xx
Çınar cafe bar - Opening Saturday

Started by kensarrived on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

20 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 12:10:30 PM
by MartynE
xx
Kalkan Gym Opening Times

Started by MATT J on General Discussion

0 Replies
Last post April 13, 2011, 01:35:27 PM
by MATT J

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal