Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Utopia  (Read 10673 times)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
Re: Utopia
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 11:20:29 AM »
where am i going to go for a humungous beer now????  i will have carry out a survey of bars...heh it's hard work but someones got to do it  ::)  !! as for moggies...we have just got our cases down and within 5 minutes our little fella has made it his new home!! 
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Johnjen

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 02:26:32 PM »
Felicity

The restaurant is on the roof.Great views,excellently furnished & the food was very good.Generally not well known as Faik does not like to harass people.I think he has to change though,too much good competition.

Johnjen

Offline Ashley

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: No
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 12:57:36 PM »
utopia has a new guy working on the front this year, his name is huseyin and he will make anyone and everyone feel welcome! he worked in moonlight a few years ago but then went in the army, he is back now and is larger than life! he'll soon have customers flooding into utopia!!

Offline ReturnTrip

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
Utopia
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2007, 09:41:30 AM »
Of the two bars I think Utopia is by far the nicer. But I do think that most people go to Moonlight for two reasons, (1) there is already a crowd there, and (2) Muhittin makes it hard to pass by without stopping.  Utopia has improved immensely in the past few years. Faik isn't the best people person as he's a little shy on first meeting but soon warms up. His brother Nihat has grown up so much, his english has improved and he is much better with people.

I spend a lot of time in Utopia every time I go there now, and just wish others would follow suit and not just follow the crowd. When I first started going to Kalkan I used to go to the Moonlight. I always went with a couple of female friends so needless to say we attracted the attention of a lot of the local men. I found that at the Moonlight when the local men sat with you and ordered drinks for themselves, Muhittin would charge us for them. Took us a while to figure this out as we would only pay for our drinks at the end of the night at which point we weren't sure what we'd had to drink anyway! We weren't impressed when we realised this, and had to ask Muhittin not to charge us for any drinks other than our own. We could tell by the look on his face he didn't like this, and we found out why late one night when we were just about the only customers there. 

We sat at a table having a drink, sober for a change, and a group of local guys sat at the next table, just waiting to be invited to join us. We had one drink, and we noticed that the guys didn't have a single drink between them. They were just waiting for some susceptible tourists to buy them for them.  When we asked around, we were told that Muhittin encouraged the locals to drink there as they'd get their drink bought for them. Hence, they could sit with no drinks waiting for Muhittin to charge their drinks to tourists.

We found the opposite at Utopia, even if locals sat with us, we were never charged for anything other than what we ordered. We also often get drinks "on the house" there, and in all the years I've been going to Kalkan, I've never had a free drink in Moonlight!

So, in my opinion, Utopia is the nicer place to go. Though Muhittin is a lot nicer to look at!  ;)

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2007, 06:24:34 PM »
We first enjoyed a cold beer in Utopia on our first visit in 2005 after 'Orlando' (who worked there at the time) approached us and asked us if he looked like Orlando Bloom!
We were so impressed by his chat and personality we decided to have an afternoon drinkie there...and we still do 3 years later!
The view from Utopia in the day time is lovely and, as its never too busy, we feel really relaxed and chilled.
Orlando has since moved down to the Ozalp restaurant, but he always remembers us from Utopia and has a chat without presurising us to eat at his new place.

Offline Brooksie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2007, 08:20:45 PM »
I prefer Utopia to the moonlight. It has a better atmosphere. But hey, live and let live!
Nothing is really work unless you would rather be doing something else.
http://picasaweb.google.com/Brooksie.loves.Efes

Offline anoife

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2007, 01:17:27 PM »
Utopia is a great bar.  Faik & Nihat are the nicest guys you could meet.  No, they won’t grab you in off the street, so give them a chance, they’d love you to come in and have a chat and drink or two or more!!  It takes time to build up clientel. Yes they have Turkish music, (I’ve danced on the Street to it), they will cater for what anyone would like to hear, just ask and if they don’t have it, I’ll guarantee they’ll get it for you next time.    Only on my last visit a guy who’d got to know Faik and had bought an apartment, had a problem with his plumbing and Faik, called out a plumber for him, who waited in the Bar until the football match was over and drove this guy up to assess the problem.   It’s a great place to watch the comings and goings of people (we call it our TV).  Yes, probably more busy in the day but GO ON GIVE IT A TRY at night, so what if you’re first to sit down, someone has to!  Can’t wait to get back there in September..
Following on from what ReturnTrip above says about Moonlights and paying for locals drinks.  The same happened to a friend and myself our first trip to Kalkan. Couldn't get over the size of our bill at the end of the night but already having had quite a few assumed it was correct.  We didn't have enough cash on us so Muhitin physically marched us up the street to the ATM (Charming). In Utopia complete opposite, no problem pay tomorrow. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 02:44:48 PM by anoife »

Offline Helmo

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 03:52:22 PM »
 :D Utopia is a great bar and has become my favourite drinking spot in Kalkan.  Faik and Nihat are really charming and helpful and love to see customers coming in.  I was there in June and on my first night out, was given a welcome drink on the house.  The music is great and if you dont like what they are playing them ask them to change it - Ahmed is the new DJ and is doing a great job.  I had many great nights there in June and hope to be back in September. 

Offline Ramtastic

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2007, 09:15:28 PM »
Will definitely be visiting Utopia in September, I'm not mad about sitting in bars, but Utopia is in a great place to just sit and watch the world go by.

Offline jonboy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2008, 12:04:39 PM »
 Does anyone know if Utopia has closed ?

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »
It was open last week  :D

Offline Hoca

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2008, 02:08:38 PM »
It''s open Fahik was taken ill and had to go into hospital in Antalya all''s well now

Offline jonboy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2008, 03:15:31 PM »
 Had heard that Fahik was either closing it or maybe selling up.

Offline jonboy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 12:16:33 AM »
I enjoyed a nice dinner at Utopia roof restaurant last time I was in Kalkan and will be there again in June do you know if the roof top is open this season again?

Offline kevincat99

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 39
    • Share Post
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 06:30:15 AM »
Yes there is a new one only just opened-run by a guy named Murat from Izmir

Offline june

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2008, 12:10:29 PM »
  :DThe restaurant above Utopia is now called Point (though it has changed its name a couple of times since the new guy took over)   It is now run by Aydin - who used to be at Ottoman House.  The chef there is brilliant and does the most fantastic beef risotto - a bit different from the norm in Kalkan - but maybe that is what is needed now and again.  I can highly recommend this dish - along with the Albanian Liver.
You will also often see Karen (Aydin''s partner) there with an Efes. She moved to Kalkan several years ago and always up for a little chat with some English folks.  The staff or all really friendly and as others have said will change the music for you if you want a different sound. The view from the top restaurant is fantastic - worth going just for that.  If you don''t want to eat you can just sit up and take in the spectacular view with and efes or 6.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2008, 01:22:26 PM »
I thought it was called Deja-Vu?

Offline june

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2008, 01:58:23 PM »
I was sure I had been there before  :laugh:  it was. They changed the name and have done a couple of times I think.  The latest name is "Point" but Aydin says that is the final name. Whatever the name - the food is worth a try.  Afiyet olsen!! 

Offline jonboy

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
 Is The bar still run by Fahik ? I presume he has nothing to do with roof top what ever the name is!!

Offline june

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2008, 07:11:01 PM »
I thinks its being run by Fahik''s brother at the mo cos fahik is in hospital - but I may be wrong.  I will let you know if thats true in the next day or so - I fly out tomorrow  hee hee !!!8)
You are right Ayhan has no link with Fahik - other than sharing the building.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
utopia bar

Started by jfm on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post August 20, 2008, 03:03:39 PM
by anoife
xx
Point (above Utopia)

Started by sunshine on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 02:07:15 PM
by june

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

A night in Coast

Views: 771
By: turkeyfan
The Boys