Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Where are we going to eat tonight?  (Read 13229 times)

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 18
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Where are we going to eat tonight?
« on: July 25, 2016, 08:16:27 AM »
This is normally the question we get asked by the kids at around 4pm in Kalkan. By 5pm we've got out the nibbles and the G&T's and decide what we fancy. So here's our choices for our fortnight in Paradise....

DAY ONE

Sade - booked up from in the UK and pleased to see they've extended the roof terrace this year providing about 12 more covers and a waiting area. Food was top notch where we had a couple of mixed grills, a stuffed seabass and a chicken dish, a few Effes, ice tea, G&T and the usual nibbles they treat you too. Service was exceptional, views obviously perfect and would thoroughly recommend.

Food 9.5
Service 9.5
Ambience 9.5
VFM 8 - 320 TL for 4

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=13440.0

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
Re: Where are we going to eat tonight?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2016, 08:28:34 AM »
Day Two

Seaport - no booking, just turned up. This is their first season back down in the front and personally I don't think the new buildings look all that - could've done better. Anyway, got a table for 4 upstairs overlooking the harbour. The restaurant wasn't very busy and there wasn't much to see in the harbour as it was very quiet even though it was 9.30 when we got there. Lots of waiters dashing around and not a lot of light up there to read the menu. Peppered steak was perfectly cooked, meatballs was more like a Kofte, chicken fajitas and lamb chops. All washed down with a couple of beers, iced tea and a bottle of red. A complimentary massive flatbread with saucy sides was served up before which was very nice.

The meal as a whole was okay, nothing special and we wouldn't return. Sadly, a whiff of the sewers ventured its way over now and again. There just seemed to be something lacking.

Food 7.5
Service 9
Ambience 5
VFM 6.5 - 350TL

Nothing booked for tonight yet, may just take a wonder. The guys outside restaurants trying to get people in are becoming far too pushy now, hands all over you and standing in the way especially the place opposite The Fountain Bar. The Bloke that was there last year with the sign has now moved down to the harbour area and is just as bad.

Offline msr

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 10
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2016, 11:14:55 AM »
I am afraid I have to agree with you regarding the harbour units. I think it has destroyed the ambience that used to be there. It all feels rather soulless and lacking in atmosphere.
Such a shame as this part of the harbour was a real favourite of ours.

Offline samson

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2016, 11:25:51 AM »
umm! kofte are meatballs ! :)

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2016, 12:14:55 PM »
umm! kofte are meatballs ! :)

Totally aware of that Samson - it was just that my daughter was expecting meatballs in a tomato type sauce.

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2016, 01:02:39 PM »
I'm avidly following this thread welovekalkan.

Thanks for the feedback. It's so good to know the "word on the street" re current prices.

I love that drink and decision re where to eat as the sun slips down low in the sky, trouble is, it tastes so good and goes down so well that it's an effort to drag ourselves off to get ready and out. I think it's my favourite time of day. I can feel the relaxation seeping into my muscles as I sit here dreaming of happy times to come...

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2016, 05:52:16 PM »
Fab report WeloveKalkan, and we are doing just the same, just made a cocktail, and then going to go to town and see how the fancy takes us! Glad your having a fab holiday and look forward to more reports  :D

Offline Mrs M!

• EnjoyKalkan Member
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
  • Holiday Junkie!
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2016, 08:49:02 PM »
I love these sort of reports :)

We're back in September after a 2 year 'hiatus' and having been there a few times know the places worth visiting and Sade is MOST certainly one.  Personally I've never been a massive fan of the Harbourside Restaurants either.

Looking forward to reading more.  Will you be going to Korsan Fish Terrace?  Love it!
Lou :)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2016, 09:58:15 PM »
Mrs M.....a woman after my own heart!  :laugh:
Thanks for sharing welovekallan!

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 10:32:10 PM »
It's so funny, the regular conversation round the pool in our development is 'how was the food last night?' and 'where are you planning to eat tonight'. You learn so much from other's experience.

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 11:29:57 PM »
Day Three

Doy Doy - now we knew we were on to a winner here as we went twice last year.....let me tell you - this place has got better!!

Arrived around 10pm and waited a few minutes to get a table on the edge with a view. Then the manager saw us and what we then got was a night of laughs and wonderful food. He remembered us from last year and when I told him 'yeah right' he then told me some stuff I told him last year....fair play.

So on the menu tonight we had last years favourite.....seafood platter - it was gorgeous! Big juicy prawns, calamari, seabass and swordfish with fresh veg, potatoes and rice. We also had a lovely chicken dish and one of the best fillet steaks ever, cooked to perfection with a gorgeous sauce. A few beers, some water and the iced tea washed it all down. For those who know it you'll probably know the manager is a bit of a character. Loves a laugh and a proper pi55 taker, he gives as good as he gets. Then when you think you've got the better of him he gets out the cards and does some magic - he is very good.

At he end of the evening he pulled up a chair and bought us some drinks and we sat for ages having a laugh. I'd be surprised if we beat this meal during our stay!

Food 9.5
Service 9.5
Ambience 8 but this is a reflection on how quiet Kalkan is
VFM 9 280TL (no wine)

Some notes to add for the day. Whilst chilling at the villa earlier we heard a voice shouting 'hello, hello?' Out the front. Eventually a guy from Soprano's restaurant came to the rear and dished out fliers offering free drinks, Meze and a 10% discont. How sad that they've had to resort to this to try and make a living. Anyway, he took a seat and I gave him some water as it was so hot.

Went to Moonlight for pre dinner drinks instead of The Fountain. Great laugh and a good atmosphere around 9pm and prices at about 2 thirds of Fountain. Also, Missilver (Ozzy - fake watches) will close the branch near Moonlght at the end of the season and move in with his brothers shop down near the Blue Marlin. A massive drop in visitors means he cannot justify 2 shops.

So there you go, for those who haven't been I can thoroughly recommend Doy Doy and for those who've been before, take heart in that I think it's got even better.

Night night.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 11:46:50 PM by Welovekalkan »

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 06:10:41 AM »
Excellent reports! Just wondering....can we have a say where you go tonight so that we can get a report?

#justaskin

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 07:12:48 AM »
Great way to do posts.
That seafood platter sounds amazing and would drag me there if only we hadn't had a so so experience the only time we've visited.........still I'm always up for a change!  :laugh:

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »
Enjoying your reports....If you haven't had Flyers you have been lucky!!..they have been giving them out around villas for a few years now..(I think there was a thread a couple of years ago) I find it annoying and intrusive especially as they don't just leave it and go! it has the opposite effect to the one intended with me  >:(
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 11:37:15 AM »
Excellent reports! Just wondering....can we have a say where you go tonight so that we can get a report?

#justaskin

Great idea Haybo, not for tonight or tomorrow night as all booked up. One condition though - not Aubergine as not a fan. I await your request.

#foodiefortnight

Offline tortoise lady

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 12:17:50 PM »
Enjoying this as eating and drinking is close to my heart.   Good to know Doy Doy is still delivering.   I love the view and have found the food and service good.

I do agree with our blue friend though.   I can understand flyers from restaurants, particularly in difficult times, but put it through the door and leave.   I really don't want to have a sales pitch if I am relaxing by the pool.   Neither do I want to entertain strangers whilst in my bathing costume.   Even if I was sitting in a shady area by the gate, fully clothed, I would still wish them just to hand me the leaflet possibly with a cheery "be good to see you at ......." and then leave.

Offline Haybo

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 73
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2016, 03:23:53 PM »
Ah, the dilemna! I know, last year, we were overlooking the roof terrace just below Goz opticians....it might be called La Terrazza.... If yiu fancy it, a review from there wiukd be welcomed!

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2016, 04:24:02 PM »
Ah, the dilemna! I know, last year, we were overlooking the roof terrace just below Goz opticians....it might be called La Terrazza.... If yiu fancy it, a review from there wiukd be welcomed!

Challenge accepted, will probably go Thursday night.

Offline Welovekalkan

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2016, 09:37:39 PM »
Day Four

Gironda - WOW! Booked this up a couple of days ago as we heard it was sometimes hard to get a table. Arrived at 8pm and we were the only ones there except for a couple of lady musicians setting up their PA system and tuning their violins. I had that awful feeling that we'd be serenaded by them all night as there was nobody else there!

People arrived soon after us and by 9pm there wasn't an empty table on the roof terrace - first time I've seen that this year and I'm delighted for the team.

'Homemade' bread rolls and dips to start the meal and a cheeky bottle of wine, couple of beers and not forgetting the iced tea. The food here is top notch, seriously good. I had the Ottoman Lamb which came with rice, for those who don't know it's almost like a lamb tagine with dried apricots and walnuts - it's not normally my thing but on the recommendation of the waiter I went for it and it was absolutely gorgeous. We also had seabass with a creamy sauce cooked to perfection, a beer and lamb Kofte with flatbread and other bits and bobs plus a chicken fajita served on the table in a sizzling skillet. All were beautiful and the Kofte was described as the best ever !!

We had desserts tonight, namely baclava and chocolate cheesecake all of whic was mmmmmmmm.

We thought Sade would be hard to beat, then we went to Doy Doy - Gironda is up there with the best in our opinion. As youre that bit higher up, the views are that bit better, it was nice to see some busy rooftops from up there but down by Aubergine at about 10.30pm there were 2 large restaurants with not one single person in there. Again, as a family we are getting more and more naffed off with the over pushy salesmen and now feel that the good restaurants don't employ this tactic. I guess the food and reputation speak for themselves.

So the scores on the doors for Gironda.....

Food 9.5
Service 8.5
Ambience 9.5 (busy, live music)
VFM 9 310TL including a bottle of wine

Thoroughly recommended and we will be going back this holiday.

Offline Kalkan regular

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 80
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2016, 09:45:32 PM »
One of our favourites and Jan who runs the dinning area is very funny.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
BBC 4 tonight

Started by Blue Lizard on The Everything Else Area!

5 Replies
Last post April 27, 2014, 04:53:32 PM
by Lizilu20
xx
Tonight's the night...........

Started by pw on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 10:58:03 PM
by pw
xx
Live Music tonight

Started by MartynE on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

0 Replies
Last post September 27, 2015, 05:42:29 PM
by MartynE
xx
Aklan at the Blue Turtle tonight

Started by MartynE on Restaurants, Bars, Nightlife & Shopping

2 Replies
Last post October 06, 2016, 10:34:19 PM
by clara 50

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal