Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: The Victor Meldrew Thread  (Read 20049 times)

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 16
  • Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive!!
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
The Victor Meldrew Thread
« on: November 02, 2007, 08:21:52 PM »
Well, the night''s are drawing in, and for most of us, it''s a long miserable drag until we can enjoy Kalkan. We have already had grumbles and moans about foul language, today''s youth, Halloween and Bonfire Night. Lets really get into the swing of it and have a thread dedicated to having a really good winge and "get off your chest" sessions. No holds barred, but mind your language, nothing personal or offensive. Has someone cut you up on the road home tonight? Has your partner forgotten to put the new toilet roll in the dispenser, have you read another article that has really got up your nose? Well, here''s your chance to air your grievances, pet hates and niggles. Who is going to go first? 

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=847.0

Offline jinfizzz

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 0
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
Re: The Victor Meldrew Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2007, 10:39:38 PM »
Hahaha Joan, this is hilarious.  I even accused my OH of being Victor Meldrew this morning when he was giving me a lift to the station.  He was moaning about the banal radio.  Nothing popular suited him, it was all absolute tosh.  He even suggested that everyone felt the same way and that everyone was deserting morning radio channels.  LOLOLOL.

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 10:47:01 PM »
I have no sympathy what so ever for Doug. This is the same Doug who is flying to Kalkan on Monday? The same Doug who is abandoning you on Bonfire Night, to spend long boozy evenings in Daphne''s and the Atlantis? And he has the nerve to complain about the music on radio stations he will not be listening to? I don''t believe it!!

Offline doug46b

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 11:04:10 PM »
I don''t belieeeeeeve it   ??? ???

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 12:23:02 AM »
Mrs EK is always calling me a "grumpit"  :)

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 185
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 07:40:06 AM »
i bought a packet of nuts..written on the packet was the informative line "this packet may contain traces of nuts" i was delighted....after all they were nuts!!  whats all that about? ::)
People Of Britain.. When your missus asks "Does my bum look big in this? Never say "Dunno your blocking the light."... just sayin ????

ta ta for now
Lizard

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007, 12:45:07 PM »
Mmmm my kind of thread.I hate it when you are trying to shop & you have the hardest trolley to push cos the brakes seem to be on the wheels,(is that why you usually see men pushing them?)then you have the most slowest people in front of you who insist on blocking the middle of the aisle so no one gets past, then they start talking as if they have all the time in the world no matter who''s behind them.I''m only 5 foot & hate it when you cant reach the top shelf & have to ask the nearest tall man to get things for you..Men who watch their wives do all the packing of the shopping & they just stand there in a day dream as if theyv''e forgotten what they are doing there...My blood pressure  & temper goes through the  roof. >:(lol. People who talk into their mobile''s so all & sundry can hear everything.Grrr.3 men in our house who dont know how to change the toilet roll holder.Kids who dont know how to switch lights off after them.Switched 8 off one morning after them.Will be back later with some more.

Offline Enjoy Kalkan

• Administrator
  • Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 69
    • Share Post
    • EnjoyKalkan
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007, 01:19:30 PM »
Suprised no-one has mentioned the "toilet seat" yet!

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007, 03:47:24 PM »
Oh ........ I was just coming to that one !!!!! :D
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Cruisecontroller

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007, 04:24:02 PM »
Well folks, you can thank me for giving Joan the inspiration to start this thread off(see Halloween !!).  I took it in the spirit it was intended, non-malicious. 

Honey, we were in Asda at the checkout this morning and the person checking out was a male, he just stood there as the poor lady on the till put his stuff through and put it into carrier bags for him, is this the height of laziness or was it the fact that he was incapable of the task !!  As for toilet seats, you can all be rest assured I have been trained in this task !! 

As a Lorry driver I am highly critical of others on the road and I do see it all.  Don''t get me wrong, I am no angel but in the main I am courteous, particularly when people are trying to get out of junctions or turn across traffic, unfortunately not many car drivers return the favour.   We are regarded as 2nd rate citizens and people do the craziest things just to get past us.  When you prang your car you can guarantee that it will be a lorry driver who will stop to see if you are okay/help out, your average car driver will just slow down and rubber neck at your misfortune thus having the knock on effect of causing an unnecessary traffic jam.  The other thing which people don''t realise is that without us, the country would grind to a halt, look about your personage as you sit at your computer, at some point a lorry had a hand in delivering what you''ve got.           

"Victor" has had another rant !!!!

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007, 05:04:01 PM »
Victor........what about those people who when you hold open a door for them just waltz past without even a thank-you... boy does that get my goat!! i usually say loudly "thank-you"which usually in return recieves a blank look...oh dear !!i''m starting to sound like a moany old lizard when in truth i''m quite chilled :angel:

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007, 05:44:29 PM »
Oh Blue Lizard...thats one of my pet hates too!
And i too say ''''thank you'''' out loudly as im stood there holding the door like a lemon!!

Honey, i''m opposite to you as im the one usually asked to get things from the top shelf as im over 6ft...get to meet and chat to lots of nice smaller people though, especially ickle older ladies who want their eccles cakes from the top shelf!
Then they tell me how wonderful i am and how they wish they were as tall as me etc etc...!
Unfortunately no smaller people offer to get things off a low shelf for me so me and Mr B, who is taller than me, end up nearly on our knees in the aisle so we dont stretch our backs out.

What bugs me??
1) People beeping their horns for no reason, continuously and annoyingly!
2) People bumping into me as if im not there cos they cant make eye contact, then they accuse me of being a bully!
3) People swearing at their kids and encouraging their kids to swear.
4) Canvessers phoning me/coming to my door to tell me about a product/scheme etc, and when i tell them im not interested they say "well if you dont want to save money...?" in a patronising voice, and look at me as if im stupid.
5) The above people not having any literature you can peruse at leisure, but expecting you to give your bank details on the dooestep and to a complete stranger!! (its ok, you can cancel within two weeks!!!)

Right i''m off out for a meal now, im sure i''ll think of some more over the weekend!!

P.s...i''m a nice person with a happy life, so dont get too upset for me having so many gripes in one go!!!!! ;D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2007, 05:47:35 PM by Mrs B »

Offline lilly

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 7
    • Share Post
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007, 06:50:14 PM »
Mrs B, my husband also hates phone canvessers. When I hear him answer the phone and say loudly "Did I ask you to phone me?, please don''t phone me again!" I Know that OH has his Victor hat on again.

Offline Blue Lizard

• Kalkander!
    • Share Post
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 07:00:24 PM »
have you tried when they phone and ask for somebody saying "hang on i''ll just go and get him/her" then putting the reciever down at the side of your phone and carrying on as normal..it keeps them hanging around, runs up there phone bill and irritates the hell out of them!! >:D >:D

Offline Chucky

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 07:03:34 PM »
Automated telephone lines, with multiple options, irritating music and after navigating that, you end up speaking to someone who obviously has a script and cannot answer anything that is not on it and to top it all can''t understand english or has an accent so thick, you cannot understand them!!!! Grrrrrh

Offline Del

• EnjoyKalkan Member
    • Share Post
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2007, 09:44:31 AM »
We received a call the other day selling new kitchens, I started [politely] to tell them I wasn''t interested & they put the phone down on me!!!   
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Offline Lorretta

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 2
    • Share Post
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2007, 10:37:13 AM »
Re the unwanted phone calls. If you subscribe to TPS (telephone protection service) it all but eliminates these calls as the company phoning you can be fined up to £40k. It''s a free service to subscribe to. The only thing it doesn''t do is eliminate those random silent calls which usually originate from abroad.

Offline Cruisecontroller

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2007, 12:57:54 PM »
The door opening thing does get to you when the other person doesn''t bother to acknowledge your kindness.  As for phone canvassers you can tell them that the property you live in is rented OR say to them you will listen to what they have to say but warn them before they start that you are sitting there naked, apparently it does have the desired effect as they make excuses to hang up quick !!  On the swearing subject, it annoys me when males do it front of females for no justifiable reason, to me it just shows ignorance.

Offline Honey

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 1
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2007, 01:53:30 PM »
Oh Blue Lizard...thats one of my pet hates too!
And i too say ''''''''thank you'''''''' out loudly as im stood there holding the door like a lemon!!

Honey, i''''m opposite to you as im the one usually asked to get things from the top shelf as im over 6ft...get to meet and chat to lots of nice smaller people though, especially ickle older ladies who want their eccles cakes from the top shelf!
Then they tell me how wonderful i am and how they wish they were as tall as me etc etc...!
Unfortunately no smaller people offer to get things off a low shelf for me so me and Mr B, who is taller than me, end up nearly on our knees in the aisle so we dont stretch our backs out.

What bugs me??
1) People beeping their horns for no reason, continuously and annoyingly!
2) People bumping into me as if im not there cos they cant make eye contact, then they accuse me of being a bully!
3) People swearing at their kids and encouraging their kids to swear.
4) Canvessers phoning me/coming to my door to tell me about a product/scheme etc, and when i tell them im not interested they say "well if you dont want to save money...?" in a patronising voice, and look at me as if im stupid.
5) The above people not having any literature you can peruse at leisure, but expecting you to give your bank details on the dooestep and to a complete stranger!! (its ok, you can cancel within two weeks!!!)

Right i''''m off out for a meal now, im sure i''''ll think of some more over the weekend!!

P.s...i''''m a nice person with a happy life, so dont get too upset for me having so many gripes in one go!!!!! ;D

Hey Mrs B,perhaps we should go shopping together,get it done in no time then,what a pair we would look.He He ;D

Offline Mrs B

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007, 10:52:31 AM »
Honey...sounds like a plan to me!
Quite a few of my mates are 5.5ft and shorter, but cos we''ve known each other for a while we forget about the height difference.
Although, shopping in the petite section with small friends can raise the interest of the shop assistant - "are you aware this is the petite section madam?" - then my tiniest mate appears from behind the clothes rail!!

Mr B is a man of few words and only says something when its important enough to be said so, if he answers the phone or door to cold callers he just puts the phone down or shuts the door without saying a word!  >:D

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
RIP Sid Waddell thread..

Started by pw on The Everything Else Area!

0 Replies
Last post August 12, 2012, 01:38:11 PM
by pw
xx
AtlasJet Thread

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on Flights and Travel

0 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 02:28:47 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
smiley
The 4 word thread..........

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on The Everything Else Area!

89 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 01:41:47 PM
by Vieux con
exclamation
Thread: Trying to contact Christine

Started by Enjoy Kalkan on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2008, 07:31:07 AM
by Christine Kalkan

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal