Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Wellies and sou'westers?!  (Read 7128 times)

Offline Babs

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 111
    • Share Post
Wellies and sou'westers?!
« on: October 07, 2014, 07:24:23 PM »
Call me paranoid but I scan various long range weather forecasts daily.....many times a day! How can a range of forecasts be so different? If I was to believe Accuweather/KTLN then we would be having one dry day in a ten day holiday to Kalkan arriving on Saturday. So I am using the tried and trusted method......instead of picking one forecast that I like and believing it (because there isn't one that is consistently good) I am picking individual days from a variety of forecasts!! Having been twice to Kalkan at this time of year I find it difficult to believe it will rain most days......if you have evidence to the contrary please do not put me right!!  ::)

Linkback: https://www.enjoykalkan.com/forum/index.php?topic=12445.0

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Wellies and sou'westers?!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 08:53:18 PM »
Well, we've been blessed with glorious weather for the k
Last ten days. It been hotter than when we were here in July. Absolutely fantastic.....pool is bloody cold though!
pw
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline Bob & Jayne

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 214
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 09:12:27 PM »
Babs don't even look at those forecasts, it's going to be hot hot hot  :D :D :D

Jayne

Offline Lizilu20

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 307
    • Share Post
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
Oh Babs I'm sure you will have good weather. Stop torturing yourself with those forecasts and get your bikinis and sunglasses packed instead  ;)  :-*  :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2014, 09:27:38 AM »
pw - not  sure where you are located but to say the last 10 days have been hotter than July I find misleading, July this year was really very hot where we live in Kalkan in fact quiet unpleasant at times, weather at moment is just great although today it is  cloudy & muggy. It is October, be prepared for changes. 
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline Chris_S

• Suggest saying Thanks
  • EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • Personal Text
    • Share Post
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2014, 10:35:22 AM »
Weather forecasts are an imprecise science.

When you are looking at a specific place, many online forecasters are merely giving you the regional forecast that the specific place you select, is in.  US based ones are likely to be the worst offenders in this respect, but not always.

Anything more than a day or two is a guess, though it could be said that an hour or two is a guess as well.

For Kalkan, the nearest Weather Station is in Kaş, but this reports the current weather and extrapolates this into a forecast, based on observations.  There is another in Fethiye that works the same way.  Dalaman Airport is the nearest Turkish one that 'may' offer some professional meteorologist input, but this is uncertain, as is the nearby one on Rhodes.  You can find these on Wunderground.com

Looking at the averaged data for a season or month will be the best guide, but, as in weather the world over, it's only a guide - you can have terrible rain almost anywhere human habitation is possible at any time, the probability varies with the seasons.

In short, don't get paranoid - just prepare and assume it will be the same as the last few years, with a glitch or two, and you won't go wrong.

ps  Turkey doesn't play cricket - hence why the sun shines more ...
Please use "Click to Say Thanks' if you enjoy this Post.  ::)

Offline kalkan4eva

• Kalkander!
  • My Thankyou Count: 267
    • Share Post
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2014, 01:04:54 PM »
We've been in October a good few times and whilst we did get some rain there was usually some sunshine during the day. We often found the mornings lovely but then it would cloud over in the afternoon - sometimes rain :( It was always warm in the day, and stayed warmish when it rained - just chillier (and dark) of an evening. Spectacular thunderstorms on only a couple of days. You've been before in October and been very lucky with the weather but as DRBD says it is changeable. We got the best tans ever one October and it wasnt sunny every day. You shouldnt stress about the weather as you cant change it and besides...if it is overcast you can get a lot of bag shopping in :)
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt :)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 07:42:45 AM »
Just going off the subject a tad, the moon rising over the mountain last night was just stunning full moon I think, with the shadows of cloud around it.  Just a good if not better tan the sunsets.  The weather here this morning is very sunny, very warm indeed & almost clear skies.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 07:46:40 AM by DRBD »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 07:33:17 AM »
For those of you who are still to come out to Kalkan  & interested in the weather, we have had, this last few days a change, heavy rain, hail stones, good old Kalkan thunder & electrical storms, in between sunshine & warmth.  The temps are much cooler with some breeze.  At this moment it is sunny & warm with a bit of light cloud, more rain expected later.  The power cuts seem to have started again, not if that's to do with the weather or the electrical company, but hey that's what happens, bit annoying when there is washing in the machine.

So if you about to come out be prepared, next week could be different but Kalkan is looking greener already & brighter.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

Daphne''s

Views: 4341
By: misty
Emir Apartments