Kalkan Turkey Forum - EnjoyKalkan.com would like to place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better. To find out more about the cookies, see our privacy notice.
To accept the cookie click here, or please login or register.

Author Topic: Winter in Kalkan  (Read 19019 times)

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 129
    • Share Post
  • Owner: No
  • Resident: No
Re: Winter in Kalkan
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2018, 11:18:45 AM »
Quite a bit of fresh snow on the mountain tops too, out in the open the wind is icy but the sun is beautiful.
Age & Treachery will overcome Youth & Skill

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 108
    • Share Post
  • Owner: Yes
  • Resident: Yes
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2018, 11:51:55 AM »
You’ve been here to long DRBD.....icy !!!  Me thinks not 🤪
Latest weather report...... Large outbreaks of Efes followed by intermitent spells of vodka and tonic ;-))
www.kalamardream.com

Offline felicity

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
  • My Thankyou Count: 30
    • Share Post
    • Villa Kirmizi Lale
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »
I agree with DBRD - OneLove - it WAS an icy wind!! :) :)
Villa Kirmizi Lale - www.villakirmizilale.co.uk

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2018, 02:25:32 PM »
Couple of lightweights you two 😂

I was out walking early this morning and as I have said it was C f K... but icy, nothing like it imho 🤔
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 03:17:06 PM by onelove »

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2018, 06:00:11 AM »
Thanks Felicity.....think One love walks in sheltered places😉😉

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2018, 08:38:43 AM »
How the weather can change in 24 hours !  This morning it’s lovely (not C f K like yesterday morning 🤪)  We set off for our walk around Kalamar @ 8:20. As we walked down our road the sun was just raising above the mountains, so beautiful 😍

After 30 mins (about half way) I had to take my hoodie off as ‘I’ was quite warm.

Once back home I drove into Kalkan to get some bread for breakfast. Kalkan is much quieter this winter, as nowhere as much building work going on as a couple of years ago, just the way we like it 👍.

The sun has now given way to clouds (11:30) and rain is forecast for later. Still very mild for end of Feb when compared to the uk.

Offline pw

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 43
  • Re-branded & abbreviated
    • Share Post
« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2018, 11:56:09 AM »
How the weather can change in 24 hours !  This morning it’s lovely (not C f K like yesterday morning 🤪)  We set off for our walk around Kalamar @ 8:20. As we walked down our road the sun was just raising above the mountains, so beautiful 😍

After 30 mins (about half way) I had to take my hoodie off as ‘I’ was quite warm.

Once back home I drove into Kalkan to get some bread for breakfast. Kalkan is much quieter this winter, as nowhere as much building work going on as a couple of years ago, just the way we like it 👍.

The sun has now given way to clouds (11:30) and rain is forecast for later. Still very mild for end of Feb when compared to the uk.

You're only 3 hours ahead, Onelove, not 4 weeks 😝😝😜
re-branded & abbreviated

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2018, 08:42:16 AM »
May only be 3 hours pw but, a different world as far as I’m concerned 👍🇹🇷

The forecasted rain never materialised so we had another mild, dry day with intermittent sunshine. Not to shabby at all.

This morning it’s very mild again first thing. There were big black clouds over the mountains but these have now cleared and we have 70% clouds with the sun breaking through in parts.

The forecast is rain & cloudy for the next few days but, let’s wait and see 🤔

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2018, 02:42:03 PM »
Yesterday turned out ok, cloudy but mild.

Now last night was a totally different story !!!

At nigh-on bang-on midnight it started to rain (I was reading in bed, as you do, or maybe you don’t 🤪) About 1/2 an hour later the thunder & lightening started & what a show it was, wow ⚡️⚡️⚡️  Now I know at my age my memory is not quite what it once was but, I can’t remember hearing thunder so loud or seeing lightening so bright. One of the highlights for me and the wife here in Kalkan in the winter is thunder storms, they are really something to behold. It seems to go on for hours and at stages I could of sweared the storm was in our bedroom it was that crazy but, equally amazing. Not a lot of sleep last night 😩 as I’m sure was the case for a lot of people in Kalkan.

This morning it was ☔️☔️☔️ Cloudy, grey and windy, then 20 mins later it was bright, dry and calm.... in short we have had just about it all today weather wise. If any of you have ever been to Calgary your understand how ‘quick’ the weather can change there, similar here today.

The other day we had decided to pop into town for a late lunch, early dinner. We had heard good reports about a new Burger restaurant that has opened so we parked the car by the taxi rant and set off to find it, glad we did 😋🍔. I won’t try to explain where it is exactly, suffice to say it’s basically in the center of the old town.

The restaurant is called ‘Ohannes Burger’ and its well worth a visit if you like that sort of thing 👍. Got talking to the owner Ebo who used to work at Fener (we have Known him for about 5/6 years) turns out it’s a franchise, by all accounts there are 6 of them in Izmir.

Talk about value for money (great selection on burgers + more) we ordered 2 burgers, a 90gm classic burger (for oh) and I had the 130gm Swiss. Both came with the normal Kalkan presentation, served on a wooden board. We did not order chips but when the burgers arrived with chips we were told all burgers come with chips ( love Kalkan but the place plays havoc with the buttons on my jeans 🐷😩.

So cost, 2 burgers & chips, 2 cokes, 1 cay came to the pricey sum of £9.50. Eaten outside in one of Kaljans quaint back streets, it’s all about location !  After we had finished eating offered comp coffee, says it 👍

How much would you pay for 2 coffees in Starbucks/Costa ?

Offline amber

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 67
    • Share Post
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2018, 03:55:26 PM »
Ohannes is a great place to collect a takeaway too - a good selection of burger and chicken dishes and very tasty chips! Such good value!
Think its going to be another wet and windy night,although I always sleep through the lot.

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2018, 05:22:05 PM »
Ear plugs for us amber 😂

Offline Irene

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 26
    • Share Post
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2018, 08:13:20 PM »
Love a good Kalkan thunderstorm - the sound of loud thunder reverberating around the mountains & the lightening reflecting over the sea is stunning!

I remember once leaving a dinner party at a friends villa, during a big storm & literally running through warm torrential rain to our apartment -  I swear the lightening struck the ground behind us - terrifying, but exhilarating at the same time!

Enjoying your updates Hope to see a few storms in March!

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2018, 04:24:38 PM »
Cloudy start this morning. But sun came out and it turned out to be a lovely sunny, very warm day 🇹🇷😎☀️

Spent entire afternoon sat on our terrace reading.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2018, 08:37:44 AM »
Well after another wet night & sounds of thunder,  the rained stopped & the cloud etc cleared  for us to  see a light covering of snow on the mountains above Kalkan. Some market traders had a fire going in the road earlier, not seen that before. Really icy breeze blowing now.

Offline Tatilde

• EnjoyKalkan Regular
  • My Thankyou Count: 11
    • Share Post
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2018, 09:13:19 AM »
We’ve lit our wood burner for the first time during the daytime since we arrived at the beginning of January. Not felt cold enough before today.

Offline DRBD

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2018, 09:32:29 AM »
Will be doing likewise in a minute♨♨♨

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2018, 01:09:58 PM »
I said in one of my earlier posts that if any one has ever been to Calgary they will prob know how fast the weather can change, well, at the moment Kalkan is giving Calgary a run for its money. If you don’t remember please keep up 🤪

Went on our early morning walk yesterday, 100% cloud cover and a bit of a chill in the air, C f K that is 🤪  but nothing like freezing I have to say.

That said I agree with Tatilde, it was the chilliest it’s been since we arrived back at the beginning of Jan. Gas fire 🔥 on for a couple of hours, sorted.

We decided to drive to Kas for a walk about and maybe a late lunch, early din dins.

Driving down the main Kas ‘high street’ my wife spotted a new shop (for Kas) from about 200 yards, Waikiki, she shouted, I slammed the brakes on & we stopped on the spot, lucky no one was behind us, just imagine telling the police why I had caused a pile up 😱

For those that don’t know, Wiaklkl is a (national) unisex clothes shop here in Turkey. I have to admit I DONT do shopping of ANY sort back home but when I’m here I love it and I love Wiaklkl. They have a great range off stuff for men, women & kids and the prices are amazing. An hour later I stagger out of the shop laden down with bags 😂 all for £45 👍

We wandered around the shops down by the harbour for an hour or so but not that much open to be honest, albeit, a bit more than Kalkan. We decided to eat, but where 🤔. Most of the restaurant’s were all but empty except a new one (for us) called Noel BaBa that was nigh-on full, got to be good we thought. There is an inside area but 90% of customers were sat outside as the temp had gone up significantly since this morning. We were not surprised it was so busy (won’t 😴 with what we had) we had a starter to share, to mains, 3 glasses of wine (oh, not me, the driver 🙄) & 3 cays....96tl or approx £18. Again, great food at amazing prices 👍🇹🇷

As has already been said we had a wet, windy night which was how it stayed until mid-morning when the rain stopped and temp went up later on, so, for us, mild again (13c on th car dash)

Going back to this morning. I have been watching the exchange rate for a while now as we need to cash up a fair bit of dosh as we are having ‘more’ work carried out at our villa, as any owner will tell you, it never stops 😢. So seeing that I had to change up some dosh and that the rate (first thing this morning) was around 5.26ish I decided to take the plunge so off I went to Deniz bank. I was that keen, their first customer of the day, got to love a deal.

I handed my money over and said ‘exchange & take money’ when the girl cashier saw the exchange rate she smiled and said ‘fantastic rate’ 5.34 wow. Wish I could say things like that in Turkish 🙄🙄🙄. She even told her colleagues who were just as surprised 😳

It’s the highest rate I have ever got in the 10 years we have been coming to Kalkan, Turkey. Is it a historical high ? I don’t know 🤔

Anyway back to the weather. I came out of the bank with a pocket full of lira, feeling very pleased with myself when I nearly got knocked over by a transit covered in snow. It must be a lot colder up in the mountain villages ❄️⛄️ 

One of my sisters is coming out to see us tomorrow for a week and the forecast looks amazing ☀️☀️☀️ for the whole week, so fingers 🤞🤞🤞

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2018, 04:18:54 PM »
Hi Peeps,

Sorry for the (lengthy) interlude. One of my sisters decided to visit us out of the blue. She has now gone home, it wasn’t her choice, my liver demanded she left 😩

She Def hit the jackpot weather wise, it was proper amazing. She had wall to wall sunshine All the time she was here, lucky thing 👍

We spent a lovely day walking around Bezirgan village, organised by our good friends from KTLN towers. Meet some new lovely people which was nice 👍 Walked on Patara twice, then after stopped off in Patara village for tea & (lemon drizzle) cake @ Beanies. Well worth a visit if you get the chance, the homemade cake was delish 😋

I went for a walk around the old town today while the oh had her eyebrows ‘done’. It was Sooo quite, just the way I like it. It’s great the way nigh-on everyone you meet or walk past say hello, a simple little thing, but the small things in life ....!

Today was again Verg mild but for the first time it what seems ages the sun failed to appear 😱 I called the Mayor to complain, he said he was very sorry & would see what he could do for tomorrow, bless him 🤪

Laters...👋

Offline onelove

• EnjoyKalkan Lover
    • Share Post
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2018, 05:13:20 PM »
Wow, it was Very very warm today, not loads of Sun, very overcast in fact, but dry 👍

It was one of those days when you look out the window before you go out and think, I better stick a jumper on but as soon as you get outside you take it off. It’s just gone 8 now but still very mild outside.

Off to Fethiye tomorrow morning, want to do a bit of shopping in my fav place to shop ‘Erasta’ !, plus got a hospital appointment at the wonderful Esnaf hospital. Hoping to get an early start as we want to drive there via ‘Butterfly valley’ as we have heard it’s an amazing place to visit and an equally amazing drive over the mountains, fingers crossed we find it 🤞

Laters....

Offline joycie

• EnjoyKalkan Fan
  • My Thankyou Count: 85
    • Share Post
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2018, 08:07:01 AM »
Esnaf is wonderful and the care they provided to Brian after his heart attack was second to none. Love Fethiye  too especially the walk along the front.

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
Winter in Kalkan

Started by Lougie on General Discussion

1 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 10:36:00 PM
by Enjoy Kalkan
xx
Winter in Kalkan

Started by Bee on Holiday Reports and Reviews

63 Replies
Last post March 06, 2012, 07:59:35 AM
by Bee
xx
Winter Kalkan

Started by Lougie on Holiday Reports and Reviews

4 Replies
Last post January 08, 2009, 01:27:34 PM
by onelove
xx
Winter in Kalkan 2012 (Back on!)

Started by Marje40 on Living In Kalkan

0 Replies
Last post July 24, 2012, 10:12:15 AM
by Marje40

Sponsored Links

* Search Kalkan Forum

* Your Account Information

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Sponsored Links

Official Turkish E-Visa Application

Official Turkish E-Visa

* Connect to Kalkan on Facebook & Twitter

Kalkan Weather

booked.net

* Random photos from our Kalkan Photo Gallery

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal